Materials printed on M2

General discussion topics
hybridprint

Re: Materials printed on M2

Post by hybridprint » Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:58 pm

While the cyclops definitely looks interesting, I don't see how you could mix two very different materials in the same hotend.. For instance NinjaFlex and ABS. also a single hotend only has one temperature setting. However if you are using two similar materials just different colors then yes this seems like a great solution.

hybridprint

Post by hybridprint » Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:53 pm

any of you guys had luck with hybrid ABS+Ninjaflex prints? if you want to try something I designed a little test file, would be very interested in seeing results with various slicers.. from what I gather it appears CuraEngine is the best for hybrid prints like this due to wipe towers, oze shields, etc.? can anybody give their thoughts on the latest version of Simplify3d in terms of dual extrusion? the new version says better support for dual extrusion, just not sure how much better it is? thanks all!

insta

Post by insta » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:25 pm

If anyone else wants to give hybridprint's file a go, let me know as well how it turns out (part of this is evaluation for purchasing an M2). I gave it a shot, and it sliced easily in Repetier + slic3r (although somewhere the extruders ended up backwards and the ABS/Ninjaflex got swapped), and printed reasonably well. The Ninjaflex is extremely oozy and got boogers all over the print, and it also completely and utterly fused with the Kapton surface of my print bed. It was a fun test though, the two parts were welded together neatly.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

hybridprinter

Post by hybridprinter » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:33 pm

Insta, thank you so much!

hybridprinter

Post by hybridprinter » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:42 pm

Attached is the zip file. This model acts like a drinking cup holder with Ninjaflex bubbles, the wall of the Ninjaflex bubble is 1mm. The bubble diameter is around 1 inch or so. The bubbles are hollow inside so you can press them in with your finger and they should pop back out.

This attached file is I suppose an easier test that has an ABS base plate and a Ninjaflex wall with Ninjaflex bubbles. So the ninjaflex bubbles are connected to a Ninjaflex wall. The next file will be a Ninjaflex bubble connected to an ABS wall.
Attachments
1 piece bubble wall.zip
(695.63 KiB) Downloaded 336 times

hybridprinter

Post by hybridprinter » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:47 pm

and here is the more advanced test.. this is an ABS base plate, connected to an round ABS wall, and the bubbles are Ninjaflex and these are stuck onto the ABS wall.

included in the attached zip file are the STL's and a 3D PDF that shows the assembly and correct printing orientation. STL dimensions are in MM.
Attachments
2 piece bubble wall.zip
(317.29 KiB) Downloaded 350 times

hybridprinter

Post by hybridprinter » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:55 pm

and a really big THANK YOU in advance to anybody who gives this a try. As insta mentioned, the outcome of these trials will help us make a purchasing decision for at least one machine, maybe a couple :-)

jimc

Post by jimc » Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:16 am

tim, i used my esun wood filament sample to do a test print to see how it worked out. i had no hiccups with printing the stuff. it extruded just fine and right out of the gate i printed it at .08 layer height. i took my horga'hn model, shrunk it down to a total height of only 2" and tried printing that. i was really amazed at the quality and how smooth this stuff prints. you cant even seen layer marks at all. the only marks on the model are from where the support was touching it and i had to do some cleanup in those locations. here is a pic. keep in mind here that the head on this model is only 1" tall.
IMG_6215.JPG
IMG_6215.JPG (29.16 KiB) Viewed 9496 times

hybridprinter

Post by hybridprinter » Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:22 pm

Is there a list of most all the main flexible filaments with properties? Looking for something still very flexible and rubber-ish but maybe a little less ozzy/stringy than Ninjaflex.

Tim

Post by Tim » Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:49 pm

Jim, (hopscotching over hybridprinter's latest---this is sort of like two or three threads in one!)

The wood print certainly looks nice; however, in the photo it has a sort of root-beer color and a sort of translucent look to it. Is that just an artifact of the photo or does it really look like that? I've heard that by changing the temperature on the nozzle as you print, you can make the colors change and give it a more wood-grain-like effect (the hotter the temperature, the darker the result; basically wood-burning on the go. . .). Most of the pictures I've seen of wood filament prints look sort of like something carved out of masonite, which does not exactly look like wood, but I think is pretty reasonable considering that it was dripped out of an extruder.