v4 Status

The official subforum for discussion of the installation and use of the official M2 Dual Extruder upgrade.
kyphur

Re: v4 Status

Post by kyphur » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:35 pm

Suh-weet!

nokianich

Post by nokianich » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:00 pm

what are pros of a new V4?
Thinking to buy one more V3B for PLT only but if you already send out V4 may be it is better to get V4?

insta

Post by insta » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:31 pm

The V4 is not backwards compatible with the V3/V3b at all. It is a very, very nice hotend though.

So nice that I wish Karen would reply to my email about buying more of them *shakefist*
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

Tim

Post by Tim » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:32 pm

The V4 is metal all the way up to the top; the only plastic is a PTFE (aka Teflon) tube insert. That means that temperatures that were at the top of the range for the V3b are comfortably mid-range on the V4. It's definitely a nicer, well-designed hot-end. However, if the V3b is working for you, and you haven't had problems with it, then I don't think there's any overriding need to go buy a V4.

Lateralg

Post by Lateralg » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:00 pm

How is single V4 attached to filament drive? Groove mount or a new method? Photo or drawing available?
Gary
Make Better Things
Make Things Better

Dale Reed

Post by Dale Reed » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:38 pm

Lateralg,

On the V4 dual, the hot end is attached to a metal piece that rides on the X carriage. The extruder stepper is mounted above it, and the filament drive is mounted to the motor. The filament drive sits right above the opening in the hot end, but does not actually touch it. So one step that you have to do on the V4 dual that you don't have to do on the V3B is align the outlet at the bottom of the filament drive directly in line with the entry (conveniently slightly cone-shaped) of the hot end before torqueing down the filament drive mounting screws to the stepper.

That's how they keep the heat from the hot end from melting the filament drive -- they don't actually touch, and the extruder fan blows cool air between them.

Sorry, not a home right now so I can't take a picture for you. But I think Rick posted one somewhere previously in this thread that might show it...

Edit: check the photo on Page 5 of viewtopic.php?f=13&t=755 --- this shows the hot end mounting, which mounts to the carriage. The filament drive sits immediately above this, but doesn't (quite) touch it.

Dale

Levi8than

Post by Levi8than » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:51 pm

Dale Reed wrote:Sorry, not a home right now so I can't take a picture for you. But I think Rick posted one somewhere previously in this thread that might show it...
Edit: check the photo on Page 5 of viewtopic.php?f=13&t=755 --- this shows the hot end mounting, which mounts to the carriage. The filament drive sits immediately above this, but doesn't (quite) touch it.
Dale
That link doesn't take me to any sort of picture. Please do post a picture when you get home, if it's not too much trouble. I'm curious to see how they did this... and kind of giddy waiting for my delivery in about a month.
[Edit] I misread. Yeah, that is the picture you meant to post, I see it. I was looking for a picture with the drives/extruders spaced above. I guess I read what I wanted to read and not what was on the page. Please do post a picture if you can..
Last edited by Levi8than on Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lateralg

Post by Lateralg » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:53 pm

Thanks Dale; that will help in the future.

I'm now looking for the single V4 mount.
Gary
Make Better Things
Make Things Better

msmollin

Post by msmollin » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:11 am

I loves me some upgrades. Next thing - dual 'struders, one with soluble support and the other with plastic! Hopefully they offer a single to dual extruder conversion kit.

Levi8than

Post by Levi8than » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:19 am

msmollin wrote:I loves me some upgrades. Next thing - dual 'struders, one with soluble support and the other with plastic! Hopefully they offer a single to dual extruder conversion kit.
Rick made more v3b to dual v4 kits available recently: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=755&start=130#p7485
$299 on the makergear site: http://www.makergear.com/products/m2-upgrades

I don't know why there isn't a single v4 to dual v4 kit available. But it should be nearly the same kit. I'd email them directly and ask... or just grab an extra hot end with the dual upgrade kit.