V4 extruding issue

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
PcS

Re: V4 extruding issue

Post by PcS » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:28 am

nokianich wrote:
PcS wrote:what is your temp for extruder ?
245, as always
Just wondered as too low a temp could cause that .

nokianich

Post by nokianich » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:44 am

PcS wrote: Just wondered as too low a temp could cause that .

I even installed temp sensor from my V3B, raised temp up to 255 - no luck :(

insta

Post by insta » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:17 pm

nokianich wrote:
PcS wrote: Just wondered as too low a temp could cause that .

I even installed temp sensor from my V3B, raised temp up to 255 - no luck :(
Have you popped the nozzle off the V4 yet and looked around? Might be something clogging the nozzle ( http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-fUqAk76r7fY/T ... ball_3.jpg ), char, dust, etc. Take the nozzle off and try extruding through the giant fat hole that the nozzle threads on to. If that works, soak the brass part overnight in the strongest solvent you have, then an hour in acetone, then torch it with a propane torch, and rinse again in acetone (have a sufficient quantity of acetone so the red-hot nozzle doesn't cause it to catch fire). At that point you can inspect the nozzle carefully for any debris that shouldn't be there, and remove it, if it wasn't incinerated already. Polish the nozzle with 1000-grit wet-dry before reassembling the V4.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

nokianich

Post by nokianich » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:18 pm

insta wrote: Have you popped the nozzle off the V4 yet and looked around? Might be something clogging the nozzle ( http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-fUqAk76r7fY/T ... ball_3.jpg ), char, dust, etc. Take the nozzle off and try extruding through the giant fat hole that the nozzle threads on to. If that works, soak the brass part overnight in the strongest solvent you have, then an hour in acetone, then torch it with a propane torch, and rinse again in acetone (have a sufficient quantity of acetone so the red-hot nozzle doesn't cause it to catch fire). At that point you can inspect the nozzle carefully for any debris that shouldn't be there, and remove it, if it wasn't incinerated already. Polish the nozzle with 1000-grit wet-dry before reassembling the V4.

Thank you but I don't want to do all that to a new V4, maybe they will ask to ship it back for replacement.

insta

Post by insta » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:55 pm

At least pop the nozzle off and try extruding a fat thread to see if it's something in the upper or lower half? It's seriously a 20 second operation, the heater body is even machined to perfectly line up with a 14(?)mm wrench.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

sthone

Post by sthone » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:58 pm

It is really that easy, I clogged a brand new V4 up with ABS the first time I tried to use it and it took me like 30 seconds (once it cooled down) to remove it and take it apart for cleaning. On that note brake cleaner works good for dissolving ABS if you don't have acetone.

-Steve

nokianich

Post by nokianich » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:43 pm

will do it tonight when get home. I already disassembled it 2 days ago, was trying to switch V3B nozzle with nozzle from V4 :)

nokianich

Post by nokianich » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:33 am

I actually have the same issue with V3B too, I just installed a new nozzle and getting the same problem... I afraid it is Rambo, some problems with heating.

Found out one pattern. If it heats up from room temperature it extrudes much more, can even let to print first layer and then gets stuck, but if I keep 240 degrees for retraction and feeding filament it takes about 2 inches inside the hot-end and gets stuck

jereywolf

Post by jereywolf » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:18 pm

nokianich wrote: Found out one pattern. If it heats up from room temperature it extrudes much more, can even let to print first layer and then gets stuck, but if I keep 240 degrees for retraction and feeding filament it takes about 2 inches inside the hot-end and gets stuck
Did you ever figure out what was causing this? I just had my first hard clog on my V4 (I've had it for about two months).

sthone

Post by sthone » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:06 pm

Clogs just happen sometimes, that just part of 3d printing. At least with the V4 they are easy to take apart and clean.

-Steve