Slic3r Talk (Or any Freeware)

Have questions or comments about Simplify3D, Slic3r, Cura, Reptier, etc? Or wondering about which CAD software to use...discuss it here...
Matt_Sharkey

Slic3r Talk (Or any Freeware)

Post by Matt_Sharkey » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:24 pm

Hey all!

While the majority of this community is enjoying S3D, It can be hard to find any info or help that's Slic3r-specific. I personally think its great for free-ware. The learning curve was pretty steep, but now that I'm pretty comfortable with it and I don't see it practical to shell out 100+ for S3D. The future may bring more complicated things to my plate that will require more robust software, but until then, I'm a happy camper.

I want to kick off the thread with sharing .ini's of settings. While one can look at other programs .configs for inspiration, its kinda nice to just have profiles ready to go.

If you use Slic3r regularly on your M2, please say Hi and post your "print settings" configs. Please specify the version number, and if you used kefir's settings to start from. I can curate everyone's up-to-date configs on this post

Slic3r V1.2.6:
MSharkey PLA.zip
MSharkey - 3_14_15 - Edited from Kefir
(1.83 KiB) Downloaded 417 times

ednisley

Re: Slic3r Talk (Or any Freeware)

Post by ednisley » Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:54 pm

Matt_Sharkey wrote:post your "print settings" configs
I've been using Slic3r for several years and it works very well for the objects I design. Right now, I'm tweaking it for PETG with a V4 hot end and getting good results, but, given the number of hardware modifications on my M2, my Slic3r configurations would hard-crash any other M2. Perhaps it's better if I don't post them where they might get someone into trouble... [grin]

That's the Z-axis switch relocated on the X-axis gantry, so it directly measures the platform position:
http://softsolder.com/2015/03/10/makerg ... is-switch/

Searching my blog for "slic3r" will pull up a collection of Slic3r configurations and tweaks that may serve as inspiration:
http://softsolder.com/?s=m2+slic3r

Those posts also describe my M2 hardware modifications, along with explanations of how to modify the Slic3r settings (including the start & end G-Code) to suit, so you can see why the parameters work the way they do and decide whether the mods are worth the effort.

Speaking of Free Software, searching for "openscad source code" will produce my OpenSCAD solid models and their results:
http://softsolder.com/?s=%22openscad+source+code%22

For my simple needs, OpenSCAD and Slic3r work perfectly!

Matt_Sharkey

Post by Matt_Sharkey » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:01 pm

Jackpot! thanks Ed! I'll peruse your archives immediately.

rsilvers

Post by rsilvers » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:11 pm

I liked Sli3r. I like Simplify for the manual support and the layout abilities. But I like Slic3r for how it organizes filament, printer settings, and printers separately.

Matt_Sharkey

Post by Matt_Sharkey » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:20 am

try out the newer releases like 1.2.6 they added a whole bunch of features to bring it up to par with the paid softwares.

rsilvers

Post by rsilvers » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:01 pm

Ok, just tried the Windows version of 1.2.6.

It was ok but had some communication problems with it not changing temps and such, so I gave up and went back to Simplify.

insta

Post by insta » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:50 am

slic3r for lyfe, yo.

:roll: s3d part just finished slicing, shh.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org