Anyone have an Ultra One yet?

General discussion topics
mkmachining

Re: Anyone have an Ultra One yet?

Post by mkmachining » Mon May 20, 2019 10:39 pm

airscapes wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 7:36 pm
Hey Tyler, is this compared to the M2 for the same part with the same speed settings?
What are the M205 settings of the Ultra?
My standard parts take 30-35 minutes on an M2 with a .5mm nozzle. U1 is taking over an hour, they're pretty small parts. With a Prusa I can make them in less than 20 minutes...and in fact I'm buying more and more Prusas, they've proven more reliable for me and better print quality as much as it pains me to say. My Makergears print pretty much nothing but nylon as my garolite beds don't work with the Prusa probe, so they get stuck on PETG duty.

Here's an M205 of the U1:

Send: M205
Recv: Maximum jerk rates: X: 1.7, Y: 1.7, Z: 1.0, U: 1.7, E: 2.0:2.0

mkmachining

Post by mkmachining » Mon May 20, 2019 10:50 pm

Here are my M2 nylon profiles vs a U1 profile with the exact same settings if someone more tech savvy than me wants to tell me what is different.

Estimated 21% longer print time on U1. Will report back with actual time, estimated at 58 minutes.

Attempted to attach factory files as well, but forum wouldn't allow them.
Attachments
mod7u1.gcode
(2.31 MiB) Downloaded 8 times
mod7m2.gcode
(2.25 MiB) Downloaded 7 times

mkmachining

Post by mkmachining » Mon May 27, 2019 4:07 am

Still hoping to find some answers :(

TSC

Post by TSC » Mon May 27, 2019 7:37 am

Hello mkmachining,

The mod7u1.gcode and mod7m2.gcode files appear to have a relatively close build time estimate. The M2 estimate is a little faster at 48 minutes vs. the Ultra One at 54 minutes. One difference appears to be that the Ultra One is using extruder wipe with 0.25 wipe distance while the M2 has extruder wipe turned off. The number of perimeter outlines is different between the two files. Overlap internal infill angles is turned on for the Ultra One and turned off for the M2. There are other slight variations as well. The estimate for the Ultra One appears to be 11.1% slower. There are some slight variations in filament length estimates and plastic volume which may account for a little of the time difference too.

Were you able to record the actual build time to compare it to the estimates? Are the actual build times two times or three times the actual build times of the same part file on the M2? If they are, is it possible there is a feed rate override somewhere that could be slowing you down? Maybe the override would not show up in the gcode but still cause the actual build time to vary by more than expected.

You certainly should be able to attain very similar speeds with the Ultra One as what you get with an M2. Many of the physical components are the same and the frame of the Ultra One should be very rigid. That rigidity should theoretically help you get slightly faster speeds out of the Ultra One compared to the M2.

Let us know what you are able to determine on the actual vs. estimated build times and any new information that may present itself.

Best regards

mkmachining

Post by mkmachining » Wed May 29, 2019 7:58 pm

My print times are way, way slower than the estimates.

The Mod7 file took an hour and a half on the U1, whereas with the M2 it was right around an hour. Typically with the newest version of Simplify I'm seeing it take 10-20% longer than the estimate on an M2, 100-150% longer than the estimate on the U1.

What is overlap internal infill angles exactly, and is that something in Simplify I missed?

mkmachining

Post by mkmachining » Wed May 29, 2019 8:06 pm

mod7 lever.JPG
mod7 lever.JPG (19.67 KiB) Viewed 232 times
I was wrong,it was actually almost an hour and 45 minutes.

AstroBuilder

Post by AstroBuilder » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:25 pm

3D Printing Nerd has a new YouTube video on a number of the manufacturers showcased at RAPID + TCT 2019. The Ultra One is showcased at 18:24 into the video.

mkmachining

Post by mkmachining » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:21 pm

This is the ringing I'm getting at stock speeds...just over 50mm/s standard speed with perimeters down near 30mm/s. Sample g-code that was sent with printer. I'd expect perfection from such an included file. Really trying to be patient but I"m hundreds of hours of my own time into this with only a few acceptable prints from basic materials.
IMG_9978.JPG
IMG_9980.JPG

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:30 pm

This may be totally wrong and you may have tried this, but from what I read about ringing when I had my Z jerk way to fast and was getting weird ringing similar to what you are seeing, ringing is caused by vibration and molten plastic.. Most notable on printers with moving beds. I know you like to run your print hot, from our discussion of using nylon, maybe in the enclosure of the ultra you need to drop your temp closer to the bottom of the Manufacture spec rather than the top? Also did you try setting Z jerk to .40 like the m2 just to see what it does to the ringing?

These are the defaults for m2..
READ: echo:Advanced variables: S=Min feedrate (mm/s), T=Min travel feedrate (mm/s), B=minimum segment time (ms), X=maximum XY jerk (mm/s), Z=maximum Z jerk (mm/s), E=maximum E jerk (mm/s)
Advanced variables: S=Min feedrate (mm/s), T=Min travel feedrate (mm/s), B=minimum segment time (ms), X=maximum XY jerk (mm/s), Z=maximum Z jerk (mm/s), E=maximum E jerk (mm/s)
READ: echo: M205 S0.00 T0.00 B20000 X4.00 Z0.40 E1.00
M205 S0.00 T0.00 B20000 X4.00 Z0.40 E1.00

mkmachining

Post by mkmachining » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:30 pm

We have tried various acceleration/jerk settings with 0 difference in print quality or print time. Perhaps the firmware overrides it?

But I want to note this is PLA, their stock sample print, going very slow. I can print a part on a Prusa in half the time and look much better.

I've had no luck with nylon. Really I just want it to print PLA at an acceptable quality and speed, then I can go from there. One of my employees has better results off a $200 Ender than I've gotten from a $10,000 printer thusfar :|