Prusaslicer 2.x

Have questions or comments about Simplify3D, Slic3r, Cura, Reptier, etc? Or wondering about which CAD software to use...discuss it here...
airscapes

Prusaslicer 2.x

Post by airscapes » Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:16 pm

After the last upgrade or S3D which I did not install and there lack of any real progress, I have started looking at Prusaslicer which was branched from Slic3r and developed by pruas for there machines. It is still open source and very much like S3D. Their branch as been converted from perl to C so it is as fast as S3D and does not crash and hang like Slic3r.
I spent an afternoon with Slic3r 1.3 and got a working profile for my M2, exported the profile bundle and imported it into Prusaslicer. There will be some tuning as all I did was print 2 walled squares. Speed parameters are many and most of them I just winged so keep in mind . This is for the .5 nozzle with a .5 extrusion width and PLA Lots to tweak but function.
M2V4RE_PrusaSlicer_config_bundle.ini.gz
(2.64 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
Version 2.1.1 can be found here https://github.com/prusa3d/PrusaSlicer/ ... sion_2.1.1

Gwhite

Re: Prusaslicer 2.x

Post by Gwhite » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:13 pm

Thanks! Which flavor of M2 do you have? I've got an M2E.

One reason I've been nervous about switching to Cura is the only profile I've found is for an older version of M2 where the Z axis stop is at the top instead of the bottom, and people reported having the platform slamming into the extruder when they tried it on an M2E. I don't know if they gave up or fixed it, but nobody has responded to my posts or PM's about it a while back.

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:55 pm

Yes mine is Revision E.
Like I said, this is just as complicated as S3D but also looks very much the same once you start looking at the settings.. There are 3 set of settings, the printer, the filament and the print.. will take a bit to remember where everything is but not that long.. I am fairly sure you have as much knowledge and experience with S3D as I do so block out an afternoon, set up a cal square with S3d print it and then work on that same model with Prusaslicer. This works, won't crash anything so you are just tweaking. The one filament profile I created is called PLA, there are bunch of others that came with it which I have not really looked at. I was set up with the .5 nozzle so make sure you change if you are not using the .5.
This would have been a bit more daunting had I not know S3D inside out. I have been putting off learning a new slicer as I did not want to waste a lot of time.. thankfully this was not bad for a first go, but will probably require a bit of time to get really good with it.
Doug
Pslice.JPG
SSlice.JPG

Gwhite

Post by Gwhite » Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:08 am

Sounds very promising! Thanks!

I checked out a few reviews, and Prusa 2.x seems to be ahead of Cura these days. The (vague) similarity with S3D will also help.