pause when no more material

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
sonra

pause when no more material

Post by sonra » Sat May 16, 2020 5:29 pm

Hi guys
I don't know if the problem was issued in this forums but I tried to find with not much success
The idea is to pause the print when there is no more raw material .To my opinion there are some printers with this kind of sensor ( but may be I am wrong) . from the electronic view can think of light source and photo electric sensor . I don't know much about the possibility to attach this to the Arudino board of the printer ( from electric and software point ) but if you guys can give my a clue(go/no_go) I can dive in .
I think that it is a nice feature specially if you print for long and can not be with the printer
My printer is M2 V4
regards Doron

ednisley

Re: pause when no more material

Post by ednisley » Sun May 17, 2020 12:34 pm

sonra wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 5:29 pm
light source and photo electric sensor
This is a solved problem, at least for the switch hardware:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=filament+sensor

Mechanical switches seem more reliable than optical, if only because of the usual fuzz.

It plugs into one of the unused limit switch jacks, although the connectors may not match.

Configuring the firmware to use the switch depends on which version you have, but for 1.1.0 (obsolete, but on my M2) you uncomment one line in Configuration.h:

Code: Select all

//#define FILAMENT_RUNOUT_SENSOR // Uncomment for defining a filament runout sensor such as a mechanical or opto endstop to check the existence of filament
Set the sensor pin to match the input you're using, most likely in pins.h:

Code: Select all

#if ENABLED(FILAMENT_RUNOUT_SENSOR)
  // define digital pin 4 for the filament runout sensor. Use the RAMPS 1.4 digital input 4 on the servos connector
  #define FILRUNOUT_PIN     4
#endif
Then make sure there's a script to do whatever you want; the default seems to be "M600".

sonra

Post by sonra » Sun May 17, 2020 1:06 pm

thanks
Did you mean to this one
"TriangleLab Filament Runout Sensor Detector for 3D Printer 1.75mm Filament
by GO-3D PRINT "
( you know this works with our type of printer ) because there are some types to sensors in the page

ednisley

Post by ednisley » Mon May 18, 2020 2:01 pm

sonra wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 1:06 pm
Did you mean to this one
I just aimed you in the direction of buying something, rather than building it from scratch.

They're pretty much generic and, because I have zero experience with any of them, I can't recommend anything in particular.

sonra

Post by sonra » Mon May 18, 2020 2:33 pm

thanks
Doron