E3D V6

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
cmenard

Re: E3D V6

Post by cmenard » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:55 pm

Tim wrote: It's quite possible that all my problems came from treating the temperature range of the E3D like the range of the v3, not the v3b, and I was just printing a bit too cool for the PET+. But I will stick with my current program of printing your fan mount and duct first, before making another run with the E3Dv6.
On my E3Dv6 I'm printing ABS at 230c and getting the same performance I did with the V3b at 245c - 250c. Have you changed the thermistor value in the firmware? If not, the higher the temp the farther off the E3D would be.

Tim

Post by Tim » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:10 am

Yes, I did change the value in the firmware, along with the maximum temperature and PID values.

I had great difficulty getting PLA to stick to the glass at 285C; it was curling up at the corners and lifting off the glass easily (in spite of the hairspray). Which was the same problem I was having with the PET+. I upped the temperature to 300 on the PLA, and it started behaving much more reliably. On the other hand, the print (in black PLA, from MakerGear, an older spool of the the glossy stuff, not the rough-textured kind that they've been shipping since the price drop) had a much duller surface than I've seen before from this roll, and I recall hearing somewhere that the temperature affects the surface shine (?). The pieces get shinier at the top where the printer slowed down. I would think that the slower movement and less time between layers means that each layer was hotter when it was put down---does that mean cooler temperature correlates with a duller surface?

j-rod

Post by j-rod » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:47 pm

Tim wrote:A better solution might be to ignore the E3D instructions on the v6 and connect the heating element with the wires going out the right side, opposite of the thermistor. Bring up all wires except for the thermistor up the right side of the hot end, and allow a bit of extra length on the wire!
That's exactly how I put mine together.

Lateralg

Post by Lateralg » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:36 pm

Okay guys, what's the verdict on the E3d V6? Their video is very convincing, and had me reaching for my credit card. Are you convinced that it's a good value?

Cost & timing = ??
Gary
Make Better Things
Make Things Better

jimc

Post by jimc » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:44 pm

I have the v5 and its great. It has a really short hot zone which requires alot less ooze control compared to your standard hotend without a heat break. Was well worth the 80 bucks or whatever it was.

markb

Post by markb » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:06 pm

Lateralg wrote:Okay guys, what's the verdict on the E3d V6? Their video is very convincing, and had me reaching for my credit card. Are you convinced that it's a good value?

Cost & timing = ??
The MakerGear V4 will be coming out with a upgrade for a single hotend V4. I am not sure when they will release it but Rick said they will be offering it.
I have been using the V4 since it came out it is a big improvement. The solid mount s and the better hot end prints ABS and PLA very well.
You might want to consider it before you upgrade.

Lateralg

Post by Lateralg » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:55 pm

How does MG V4 differ from V3?

Any Photos?
Gary
Make Better Things
Make Things Better

jimc

Post by jimc » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:14 pm

Gary just look up the threads for the dual extruder. Besides it being dual its quite a bit different. Its a real nice piece but i am really not ready to venture into dual right now.

markb

Post by markb » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:00 am

They are going to offer a single V4 extruder kit. I am just not sure when.
I do have the Dual kit right now but I just add the second extruder on the right side when I want to print two colors. Otherwise I run the current firmware and just run one V4. It is pretty sweet.

There are some pictures here viewtopic.php?f=13&t=755&start=100

jimc

Post by jimc » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:41 am

haha i know that HOWEVER that has been said since last november. there were even some early prototype pics posted back on the google group. i just couldnt wait any longer so i got my e3d. now when the the v4 single comes out ill give that a go as well. im not really stuck on one thing. hot ends are relatively inexpensive.