Retrofitting a Duet 2 wifi into Makergear M2 Rev. E

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
Farr0wn3d

Re: Retrofitting a Duet 2 wifi into Makergear M2 Rev. E

Post by Farr0wn3d » Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:45 pm

Thank you, and I can definitely relate!

Jeremy

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:20 am

making progress.. removed the M206 from the adv file set the max Z to 212, using your steps per mm and converting my jerk settings that were stock to mm/min was able to print a 2 walled square and get the z offset set using the config 208 and restart the board.. not going to be a simple as it is with m206 in octoprint but is workable..
Have to dry my PETG and will print one of the items I sell which I have dozens of previously printed to compare.. will let you know what happens

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:50 pm

Jeremy, I put the printer back in the enclosure and am in the process of printing a new Duet board cover that I altered a bit, this time in PETG as ABS did warp a little. The top surface of the print is smoother and nicer than any top surface printed in PETG with the .75 nozzle, so far so good!
I had replaced the fan in the power supply for a quiet one, it just runs at 1/2 the speed of the OEM and moves 1/2 the amount of air, but I think it is sufficient since the room is always about 71F.
The printer in is almost silent. The OEM 24v extruder and case fans make more noise than all the steppers running at once.
There are certain moves at certain speeds that do make some noise but I am going to remove all of my Ninjaflex dampers from the X and Y motor and screws as I don't think I need them anymore. They do allow some flex which could reduce accuracy but was worth it for the noise suppression they provided with the Rambo board.
Print quality is a bit nicer where infill meets perimeter as mentioned and I am using the same values for jerk as Marlin (converted to mm/min). Need to print more things to know if it was really worth the battle and if more things need to be tweaked.
Ping me when you get home and are feeling up to it, I PMed you my email, I really want to compare configs. Once I am happy I will create a thread with a summary of how to move to the Duet including the configs for a Stock V4 RevE.
Thanks again!
Doug

Farr0wn3d

Post by Farr0wn3d » Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:08 pm

Hey Doug, I emailed you those config files.

Jeremy

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:37 am

Thanks!!

jferguson

Post by jferguson » Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:42 pm

HI Doug,
while you're at it, you might reprise your reasons for the modification.
I had bought the bl touch kit and made the required new extruder housing then chickened out on the installation fearing that I would screw up the firmware. I had rewritten parts of the firmware on my TinyBoy printer in 2015 when I added a heated bed to it, but for some reason, maybe age, I seem to have lost my nerve.

I did change out the glass-plate bed on my M2 for Wham-Bam's stainless system. It has worked wonderfully well and seems to allow me to remove prints, clean the surface and replace the sheet without disturbing the height/leveling.

And thanks for sharing your description of your progress with this.

john

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:45 pm

jferguson wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:42 pm
HI Doug,
while you're at it, you might reprise your reasons for the modification.
Jeremy had replaced his board due to failure and he said the Duet made for almost silent printing and the hole sizes seemed to be closer to being accurate. There was NO really good reason to do this. The board is more than the stock printer needs, but if I want to add a Z prob or other modifications, the board can handle it and the firmware is all Gcode so nothing to compile just add/modify config file and restart board.
It is a network board so if you don't use octoprint, it has its own gui built in. To be honest, I probably should have bought a Prusa mini rather than this board, it would have been more useful in the long run, however I have no room for a second printer so I opted for a silent printer. :D
The biggest pain in the butt was the couple of connectors that need to be replaced on the stock wiring harness and finding the proper crimpers..
When I get time I will do a summary of thing you need to do, all the details are very well documented, one just has to take the time to read them all and not be impatient like me :oops:
I attached a couple images of the finished enclosure. The small 5v fan in front runs all the time and the top 24v fan runs as it does with the stock stetup. I did change the temp it comes on to 60C from 50C so it does not run constantly when my enclosure is at 50C
Edit:
Now I think about it, I will change that back to 50C, I fire up the heat and let it sit for 30 minutes or more before I start printing, should have the fan cooling the board..
But behold, just click the config within the web gui which puts you in and editor, change the number, save, click yes to restart and your done.
box1.jpg
The attachment box2.jpg is no longer available
Attachments
box2.jpg
Last edited by airscapes on Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jferguson

Post by jferguson » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:05 pm

Thanks much,
handsome case, btw

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:21 pm

jferguson wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:05 pm
Thanks much,
handsome case, btw
Thanks, the .75mm nozzle does not print very pretty, but it is fast and strong.

Farr0wn3d

Post by Farr0wn3d » Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:26 am

Finally got my Duet enclosure redesigned, but now with the Panel Due as a separate unit. The Y axis rail support BARELY clears the case.... Air is drawn in by the 2 top fans and blown at the stepper drivers, and then the air enters a channel under the board on the front end of the enclosure before exiting out the rear
Attachments
thumbnail_IMG_6610.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_6609.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_6608.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_6607.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_6606.jpg