Retrofitting a Duet 2 wifi into Makergear M2 Rev. E

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
airscapes

Re: Retrofitting a Duet 2 wifi into Makergear M2 Rev. E

Post by airscapes » Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:33 am

Nice job on the case. I should have turned the board like you did rather than having all the cables crossing the board like the Rambo did.

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:13 pm

Here is what the M2 sounds like now..
https://youtu.be/X70QacQFYjE

Farr0wn3d

Post by Farr0wn3d » Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:05 pm

Man I wish I could have gotten a video of the sound with the original setup!

Did you take the stepper dampers off before the video? are you pleased with the upgrade as a whole?

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:36 pm

Farr0wn3d wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:05 pm
Man I wish I could have gotten a video of the sound with the original setup!

Did you take the stepper dampers off before the video? are you pleased with the upgrade as a whole?
No, I did not remove the dampers yet.. So maybe it is not as quiet with them off.. ?? After listening to that video, with the dampers still in place, are your undampened steppers louder or just as silent?

I have always wondered how much if any impact the TPU dampers have on the accuracy and finish of the end product. I may spend one of my days off at the end of the month doing the bed level check (dial indicator), a full cleaning/lubrication and taking the X and Y motors off to remove all the dampers.

Yes, I am pleased with the outcome! Not yet sure it was a really big bang for the buck, but I am not sorry I did it. I learned a good bit and my machine is now very quiet. The test item which I sell turned out a little nicer than how it looked with the Rambo so I really don't have anything negative to say about this board. The fact you can make changes without compiling anything will be a big help should I want to do any other modifications in the future.

Farr0wn3d

Post by Farr0wn3d » Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:00 pm

I'm still able to hear the steppers on mine, but its a difficult comparison because thats a very slow print in the video, which would have the steppers as quiet is possible. I had the astrosyn stepper dampers in the past and decided to remove them for accuracy's sake.

For me, the printer is perfect, and the minimal amount of sound from the motion assembly is easily tolerable when sitting next to the machine without noise cancelling headphones. With the Rambo, I used over ear NC headphones and it was still irritating for long periods of time. Its a big win in my books :D

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:55 am

Yeah I had the dampers made of cork and metal that required you leave a couple screws out. I did not like them at all as the motors would not sit flat The TPU gaskets I designed that included washers for the screws do not allow much movement but I have to guess there is some as they really made a huge difference in the sound level.

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:17 pm

Farr0wn3d wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:30 am
Airscapes, I just realized that I missed one of your question posts before. I do not have a BL touch sensor. I mechanically level my bed using a dial indicator and recording the measurements in a grid pattern and then I strategically apply layers of kapton tape to the underside of the buildtak flexplate to level it out. It’s great. Keeps it uniform and level all around.

MicroSD card was included and pre flashed.

I’m currently in the hospital for a couple weeks, so I can’t send my config files, but I can send them in a couple weeks once I’m home again. My setup is fairly different from stock so either way you will have to modify it to work with a stock trim m2.

For the wiring I just removed the 6 wires from the loom and put in 2 individual wires (14awg I believe, I spec’d the wire for the max draw at that length). If you wanted to connect them all in parallel that would be fine, but the conductors are stiff, and I don’t think you could fit 3 into the ferrules so I would proabably do 1 or 2 for each input and disconnect the unused wires from the rails in the PSU. Obviously you’ll want to be careful with any wires left unconnected and loose. That’s one of the reasons why I opted to just remove them all and put in 2 new ones.
Hey I just got the build-tak system and have been doing the dial indicator grid check for a long time as well. I mounted my build-tak to the glass bed, and I know the bed always changed position at higher temps. Center rises and outer edge at X0 is goes down and oposite up at 110C. So I remembered this post of yours and order some .1mm steel shim stock and cut it to fit where things go down at 110 and seems to work well. It sticks to the magnets nice and then polymide tape (.02} toped to get that one side same as the center when hot. Have a different shim for 70C. Still thinking about a Z probe.. have you do that yet? If so which type of probe did you use. I am such an old dog, don't want to mess with what works.. still using S3D 4.01 ;-)

Farr0wn3d

Post by Farr0wn3d » Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:34 am

airscapes wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:17 pm
Farr0wn3d wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:30 am
Airscapes, I just realized that I missed one of your question posts before. I do not have a BL touch sensor. I mechanically level my bed using a dial indicator and recording the measurements in a grid pattern and then I strategically apply layers of kapton tape to the underside of the buildtak flexplate to level it out. It’s great. Keeps it uniform and level all around.

MicroSD card was included and pre flashed.

I’m currently in the hospital for a couple weeks, so I can’t send my config files, but I can send them in a couple weeks once I’m home again. My setup is fairly different from stock so either way you will have to modify it to work with a stock trim m2.

For the wiring I just removed the 6 wires from the loom and put in 2 individual wires (14awg I believe, I spec’d the wire for the max draw at that length). If you wanted to connect them all in parallel that would be fine, but the conductors are stiff, and I don’t think you could fit 3 into the ferrules so I would proabably do 1 or 2 for each input and disconnect the unused wires from the rails in the PSU. Obviously you’ll want to be careful with any wires left unconnected and loose. That’s one of the reasons why I opted to just remove them all and put in 2 new ones.
Hey I just got the build-tak system and have been doing the dial indicator grid check for a long time as well. I mounted my build-tak to the glass bed, and I know the bed always changed position at higher temps. Center rises and outer edge at X0 is goes down and oposite up at 110C. So I remembered this post of yours and order some .1mm steel shim stock and cut it to fit where things go down at 110 and seems to work well. It sticks to the magnets nice and then polymide tape (.02} toped to get that one side same as the center when hot. Have a different shim for 70C. Still thinking about a Z probe.. have you do that yet? If so which type of probe did you use. I am such an old dog, don't want to mess with what works.. still using S3D 4.01 ;-)
I have no plans to use a bed probe. I'm happy with how it is, and although I retrofitted a bondtech extruder onto it to improve performance with flexibles, I dont plan on doing any further modifications to this printer unless a failure forces me to. I got a laser cutter last year and an SLA printer recently, so I expect to be spending my time on those more moving forward and I just want my M2 to work when I need it. I MIGHT upgrade to the new S3D, but thats hard to say as I'm also an old dog and cant tolerate the learning curve on things that I dont expect to use a lot.

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:16 pm

I am now interested in the Bondtech extruder, did it make TPU as simple as solid filament? Would love the details on what to buy and how to configure. My Duet and BlTouch is working great, would need to reinvent the BlTouch mount if I switch extruders but may be worth it..
Thanks,
Doug

mbonadio

Post by mbonadio » Wed Nov 01, 2023 5:19 pm

Hi Farr0wn3d,

I've just purchased the Duet for my M2 Rev 4 and after having read your posts would you mind sending me your config files so I have something to start with?

Thanks
Michael