Retrofitting a Duet 2 wifi into Makergear M2 Rev. E

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
Farr0wn3d

Re: Retrofitting a Duet 2 wifi into Makergear M2 Rev. E

Post by Farr0wn3d » Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:28 am

The fan outputs are typically the voltage supplied by your PSU for everything else, OR you can jumper them to be powered by 5v that the board converts.

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:27 am

Thanks, I finally read that in a post on their forum.. Does not say that in the instructions at all for wiring the fan.. 5v 12 or externally powered and it make it sound like you have to wire them up VIN in some way..
Borad will ship on Monday.. still trying to decide if I want to mount it to the printer like the OEM or external to the enclosure. If external I can just lift out the printer, it is wired into the box..
If inside I guess it would be no different than the RAMBO board.. 100F does not seem to bother it.. However that is about the temp that the CPU runs in the duet. If I could have a quick disconnect of the harness that would be perfect but have no experience with Molex type connectors and would not know what to buy, or if I would ever even us it.. Printer has never been removed from the enclosure since it was build back in 2018ish..

Can you post your config files, if you don't want them public, I have pmed you my email I don't want to just use them, want to use the config tool and understand how it all works. I never really learned how the marlin works in detail but plan on getting in a bit deeper with the Reprap. Having the 2 config files for the M2 that are known good would be great to have as reference.
Thanks!

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:02 pm

More and more questions.. the MG power supply has 3 circuits the duet has one input. Do I connect all the positive and negative power supply wires together in parallel to supply the duet or what??

Farr0wn3d

Post by Farr0wn3d » Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:30 am

Airscapes, I just realized that I missed one of your question posts before. I do not have a BL touch sensor. I mechanically level my bed using a dial indicator and recording the measurements in a grid pattern and then I strategically apply layers of kapton tape to the underside of the buildtak flexplate to level it out. It’s great. Keeps it uniform and level all around.

MicroSD card was included and pre flashed.

I’m currently in the hospital for a couple weeks, so I can’t send my config files, but I can send them in a couple weeks once I’m home again. My setup is fairly different from stock so either way you will have to modify it to work with a stock trim m2.

For the wiring I just removed the 6 wires from the loom and put in 2 individual wires (14awg I believe, I spec’d the wire for the max draw at that length). If you wanted to connect them all in parallel that would be fine, but the conductors are stiff, and I don’t think you could fit 3 into the ferrules so I would proabably do 1 or 2 for each input and disconnect the unused wires from the rails in the PSU. Obviously you’ll want to be careful with any wires left unconnected and loose. That’s one of the reasons why I opted to just remove them all and put in 2 new ones.

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:32 pm

Thanks and I wish you speedy recovery! I did see a couple of your posts on the Duet forum where you posted config data so that should be helpful.
I also have been checking the connectors used for the Rambo Board and every one I checked seemed to fit the pins on the Duet. If they fit and are in the proper order, I would think I do not need to replace them, correct? I really want to be able to fall back to the rambo should the need arise.
I designed an adapter plate and am starting on the cover so the Duet will go right where the rambo was .. or at least that is the plan.
Plan to use the original fan attached to the lid but still not sure of the fans orientation.
I may end up reducing the height of the standoffs, wanted to makes sure there would be as much air blowing under the board as on top.
Fan location at this point will blow inward like rambo and be located in the center of the left hand wall of the the lid, which I have to design and print today.
Thanks again for the help!
Doug

Edit..back to the drawing board..forgot about the Z support structure, need to shorten the standoffs and maybe move the Duet inline with the rambo on the right side, moving it back behind the plate to frame screws rather then next to them :(

Farr0wn3d

Post by Farr0wn3d » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:14 pm

Thanks man, I appreciate the well wishes.

You could be right about the connectors being compatible. I changed them all just for the sake of uniformity and I knew my RAMBo was toast anyway so I wasn’t worried about reverting back, as it is unlikely, and shouldn’t be too hard to redo the connections if need be. Either way, if it works and you’re happy with it, then I’d say go for it.

For my base plate I opted to remove the OEM metal one and instead use the hole for the printer’s foot and other hole in the area for fastening the base down. I used flat screws (countersunk head) to keep it flush. I also have the fans blowing down onto the stepper drivers with the air path going under the board and then out of the case. The case I designed ended up having some flaws that I only realized during assembly so I’ll be back to the drawing board when I’m home.

Are you talking about the arm that holds the Y rail? Designing a case around that, that fits the panel due inside it was a real pain. If you dont see any benefit to having the panel due, then it will definitely afford you more ease in designing the electronics case.

For the config files I posted, keep in mind you would need my JSON file to input into the config generator for it to give you my configuration to modify. You also wouldn’t have my config-override, but you can create that yourself when you do your PID tuning. As far as my printer’s differences, I’m using a PT100 hot end temp sensor and daughter board. Assuming you are using a thermistor, you would need to modify that sensor input. My Z homes at bottom but I’m assuming yours does too if its rev E or later, and i am using a mirrored e3d titan to extrude, and I have my extrusion reversed but I can’t remember if thats because I redid the wiring of the motor years ago or not… :roll:

You’re welcome for the help, let me know how it goes

Jeremy

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:57 pm

I did not get the LCD panel, have never had one and do see the need. I have monitor,keyboard and mouse with the pi and octoprint right next to the printer and my pc I use all day is in the next room. I went with the wired duet as I have copper right there for the pi. My machine is all stock so yeah, probably not much like yours. I am working on the enclosure now, just had to make the mounting plate same size as rambo but longer.. currently working on a test part for the lid to get the tapped holes in the right place so it attaches just like the rambo metal housing.
Fan location has gotten harder but I think it will need to go in the top just like stock and hope it is sufficient when the enclosure is at 50C

Gwhite

Post by Gwhite » Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:16 pm

One option for the enclosure is to duct it so the fan brings in outside (cooler) air. Exhausting air warmed by the circuitry should actually help keep the enclosure warm.

Gwhite

Post by Gwhite » Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:16 pm

Gwhite wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:16 pm
One option for the enclosure is to duct it so the circuit board fan brings in outside (cooler) air. Exhausting air warmed by the circuitry should actually help keep the enclosure warm.

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:01 pm

Making progress but more questions google is not helping with.. I was asked on the Duet forum what amperage will I be running my stepper motors. How would I know? I can't even find info on what model motor these are and the Extruder is not the same as the x and y and the of course the z is also different. I read the is in the marlin firmware but no idea how to see that in my current running machine if that is even possible.
Thanks!
Doug