Converting a V3b into bowden?

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
insta

Converting a V3b into bowden?

Post by insta » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:37 pm

This is a general question, not applicable to my M2 in any way, but since I've managed to amass a small collection of V3bs, and knowing they use the "industry standard" groovemount profile (pioneered it?), I'm wondering if I can use the V3b on another printer of mine. The problem is that printer, which uses a ReprapDiscount Hexagon hotend, is straight bowden.

I can SCAD up a part that clamps the groovemount and holds the hotend to the existing 25mm fan holes, and maybe build a tab in there to hold those cheap thread-in push fittings for bowden cables, but I'm wondering if the V3b can be converted directly ... maybe disassemble, remove the PTFE, tap the top quarter-inch of the PEEK, trim the PTFE, and reassemble? I don't know what I'm getting into here, so I don't know how feasible that is.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

rsilvers

Re: Converting a V3b into bowden?

Post by rsilvers » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:59 pm

I would think you would get a screw-in push connector and make an adaptor that interfaces it to the groove-mount and is also a mount to the printer.

I converted my PrintrBot to a Bowden for a while. Upside is lower mass so you can move more quickly. Downside is less precise filament control which reduces print quality. Now that I know that the limit to print speed is not the mass of the print-head but just the fact that it is not good to extrude too fast and always expect the best layer bonding (especially with Polyester), I lost my interest in Bowden.

insta

Post by insta » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:47 am

So you're firmly on Team Unmodified-V3b then? That's kind of where I was leaning as well.

Also, this machine is an H-bot, so a light & fast gantry is its entire selling point.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

rsilvers

Post by rsilvers » Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:32 pm

I agree that low mass can reduce ringing for any given speed and acceleration. You can fix this by limiting acceleration, which merely results in a slower print time. I have just come to believe that the lack of precise filament control cannot be cured by printing slower as you are pushing a wet noodle through a straw. I would still seek low mass, but I would do it with a smaller stepper motor.

I would vote for a V3b over a Bowden version.

thecadman99

Post by thecadman99 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:18 pm

I started a design for a dual-bowden some time ago, but didn't go through with it. The mounts may still work with some tinkering if you wanted to use an unmodified v3b with a screw-in tubing connector in the dovetail mount.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79&p=558#p558