Quieter Fans

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
kartcrg

Quieter Fans

Post by kartcrg » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:26 pm

Hi all,

Forgive me if I missed this somewhere but is there a consensus on specific quieter fans to go with? I'm hoping to replace all 4 with quieter but almost equally effective fans that don't require modifying other electronics. I see 'Noctua' commonly on here, I'm just hoping someone can give me specific model numbers for all fans.

Thanks!

jsc

Re: Quieter Fans

Post by jsc » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:14 pm

These are the Noctuas I tried a year ago: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009NQLT0M

They are very quiet, but not very powerful. These are 12V fans, so suitable for replacing the electronics case and extruder fans, they will not be a bed fan replacement.

Pekish79

Post by Pekish79 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:29 pm

first of all you cannot replace all 4

3 are easy to replace as they are all 12V
a) 2x40mm
-----extruder
-----motherboard box
b) 1x60mm
-----power supply

but the one at the nozzle/bed is 24V and is 50mm
noctua doesn't do any 50mm
and almost nobody make 24V fans

my advice is change only those 3 and keep the nozzle fan the stock fan

but if you want to change that as well there are only 2 silent 50mm one is
-Silent5 by gelid-12V
-Fractal Design Silent Series R3-12V

THEY ARE BOTH 12V so they will BURN if you use them without fixing the Voltage
you can fix it using one of these "buck converter"
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-LM2596-DC-DC ... Sw7FRWUxVp

honestly is big and annoying to place around i even tried to buy a mini buck converter (same the use in airplane models) but it was still too annoying and was heating up and... honestly not worth it that fan alone is not terrible i went back to the stock one
Last edited by Pekish79 on Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jules

Post by Jules » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:31 pm

Seriously want to cut the fan noise and boost the cooling power? Just take the fan guard off of the bed fan.

I bought some noctuas, and never wound up putting them on - removing the fan guard cut the noise by a boatload. :D

sthone

Post by sthone » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:36 pm

A bonus to removing the guards... I haven't broken a fan since I took them off. :D

-Steve

Pekish79

Post by Pekish79 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:42 pm

if you wonder where they goes this explain it better then my text before

leave the bed/nozzle fan alone but change the mount :P
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1083655 << this is my file
this is the standard 24V fan but i added a different mount
and i added a funnel slightly slanted toward the nozzle (there is a straight funnel as well in the link)

I changed the mount because in this way with 1 screw i can remove both fan that stay attached to each others
plus i wanted to add a 2 point connection that hug the top fan

here is the picture of my attempt to put a 12V fan with the mini bucked converter and the same mount system in different color

in red the location of the fan as u can see the mount go behind and hug the fun it's quite sturdy and u never have to detach them every u can remove the full block with just 1 screw both fans before u had the 2 fan moving around when detaching the main screw
(in the black tape there is a buck converter but i gave up on that)

Pekish79

Post by Pekish79 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:33 pm

1x60 Sunon KD1206PTB1
- Air Flow 23.5 CFM
- Static Pressure 0.210 in H2O
- Noise 34.5 dB(A)

Noctua A6x25 FLX
- Airflow 17.2 CFM
- Static Pressure 0.218 in H₂O
- Acoustical Noise 19,3 dB(A)

(Chao Jing Yin) CJY Brushless DC fan
only data i could find is on amazon
http://www.amazon.com/40mm-Amounts-Moun ... B00I50GAZG
- Airflow 8.0 CFM
- 34db Noise Level
(i really can't find any official page for this CJY)

Noctua A4x10 FLX
- Airflow 4.83 CFM
- Static Pressure 0.178 in H₂O
- Acoustical Noise 17,9 dB(A)
Last edited by Pekish79 on Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kartcrg

Post by kartcrg » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:54 pm

Wow, this forum never ceases to impress me with the helpfulness of the community. Thank you guys so much for the detailed responses. I have stepper dampers on the way so the fans will be the next step in noise reduction.

Jules - I actually printed my own guards that seem to be about the same Db as running without them (see below). Let me know if you'd like the files.

Pekish - thanks so much for the info and pics mate, very much appreciated! I'm running a mount / shroud I found on thingiverse a while back that seems to work well for me. I'll replace the 3 then and just deal with the bed fan noise when printing PLA.

Jules

Post by Jules » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:06 am

kartcrg wrote:Wow, this forum never ceases to impress me with the helpfulness of the community. Thank you guys so much for the detailed responses. I have stepper dampers on the way so the fans will be the next step in noise reduction.

Jules - I actually printed my own guards that seem to be about the same Db as running without them (see below). Let me know if you'd like the files.
I wouldn't be able to use it, since i've got a dual setup, (with a specialty fan guard to move the side 50mm fan around to the front).....

But.......I'll bet some of the other guys with a single would love to try one if you're inclined to post it! ;)

Mach

Post by Mach » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:58 am

I recently changed out the extruder and electronics fan for the 40mm Noctua. I bought the Noctua 60 as well but thought cracking the internal case on the power supply more than I wanted to tear into.
I did replace the the 50mm bed fan with a 15x50 24V blower instead of the 50mm fan. So far I'm happy with the noise level and performance. I did so based on this Reddit thread https://www.reddit.com/r/3Dprinting/com ... ud_fan_vs/. I'm still testing and need to make a duct for it but so far so good.