Bondtech QR - Extruder

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
vento

Bondtech QR - Extruder

Post by vento » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:51 pm

Hello everybody!

I've been part of the M2 family for a few weeks and during this time, I've learned a great deal about the printer. I purchased the M2 used and I found the extruders to be my primary location for failure. After swapping back and forth between E3D V6, V3B, generic Jhead, I'm finally at a good place where all the hot end components are hooked up.

The Bondtech fits perfectly in the M2 extruder mount, but it's not recognized. The cable that was supplied with the extruder is different from what the original M2 unit uses.

Does anybody have any experience with mounting this type of extruder?

Documentation for the Bondtech: http://www.bondtech.se/docs/

Thanks in advance!
Charles

kazolar

Re: Bondtech QR - Extruder

Post by kazolar » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:32 pm

I think the V4 is an excellent hot-end and the stock geared extruder stepper does a really great job. I just ordered the bondtech for my giant delta build to run in a bowden system for the e3d volcano. I honestly see no reason for the bondtech on the m2. The mechanics on a cartesian printer do not require that much power. The printbed is not big enough to go to volcano nozzle sizes. My delta is 490mm diameter and 685mm height (with e3dv6, will be a bit less with the volcano) there it made sense for the bondetch for large prints, but imo way overkill on the m2

vento

Post by vento » Mon May 02, 2016 11:38 pm

kazolar wrote:I think the V4 is an excellent hot-end and the stock geared extruder stepper does a really great job. I just ordered the bondtech for my giant delta build to run in a bowden system for the e3d volcano. I honestly see no reason for the bondtech on the m2. The mechanics on a cartesian printer do not require that much power. The printbed is not big enough to go to volcano nozzle sizes. My delta is 490mm diameter and 685mm height (with e3dv6, will be a bit less with the volcano) there it made sense for the bondetch for large prints, but imo way overkill on the m2
Thanks for responding! I was starting to think I was in moderation limbo again :).

I did end up getting it to work by rewiring the extruder harness according to direction from Bondtech. I've been through approximately 5 3d printers in the past 6 months, and the one aspect of printing that has disappointed me on every machine is the extrusion. The M2 was by far the nicest printer I've owned so I felt it appropriate to invest a little more in the components and it has paid off.

I plan on converting this M2 into a bowden configuration, and the BT extruder seems to do well in that respect. One benefit I had not thought about is the quick change feature, which I know is available on other extruder designs but it's solidly implemented in the BT and it has cut my filament changing time into just seconds. I can do warm and relatively cold pulls easily.

sprior

Post by sprior » Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:38 pm

Vento,

I'm considering upgrading my M2 with a V4 extruder and BLTouch with the Bondtech QR extruder. When you did it did you also attach a BLTouch? Would you still recommend this upgrade?

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:39 pm

sprior wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:38 pm
Vento,

I'm considering upgrading my M2 with a V4 extruder and BLTouch with the Bondtech QR extruder. When you did it did you also attach a BLTouch? Would you still recommend this upgrade?
I am curious why you want to make the change. What is the driving reason behind it?

CalebPetersenPhD

Post by CalebPetersenPhD » Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:15 pm

Has anyone put a Bondtech QR on the M3-ID? M3 feeder really struggles with flexible filaments, unfortunately, due to the poor design of the filament path, lack of dual gear drive, etc. Surprised this hasn't been upgraded given that otherwise the M3 is mechanically an excellent machine, and even many cheap Chinese printers have dual-drive feeders nowadays.

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:00 pm

This drive is on thingivers and I have used it for a while now. With careful tension adjustment and gravity feed spool holder and a larger nozzle it can do TPU
Attachments
abs .5N_Single_Filament_Drive_r3_Flexable_material_mod_r-.gcode
(3.84 MiB) Downloaded 248 times

CalebPetersenPhD

Post by CalebPetersenPhD » Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:25 pm

Thank you, airscapes. I just saw this. Would you mind linking/uploading the STL, instead of G-code?

Thanks!

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:44 pm

Sorry, meant to attach the factory file, but let me fine the stl and the factory.. had to zip them to attach These should print with ABS no problem if if you have simplified 3d to import them. Tension adjust is still very sensitive and a gravity feed setup for is kind of a must.
No matter what you will need a 1.75mm drill bit or 2mm to make sure the passage is clear. The one I printed a couple weeks ago with the .5 mm nozzle only needed a 1.75 passed through by hand to remove a nib or 2. Others in the past I have printed I used a 2mm but I prefer the path as snug as possible.
ABS .35 EM 93 extruder housing tight throat.factory.gz
(697.69 KiB) Downloaded 263 times
ABS .50 EM 93 extruder housing tight throat.factory.gz
(698.47 KiB) Downloaded 267 times
Gravity feed.. have inserts for the larger spools with bearing to allow very easy movement of the spool
Gavity Feed small.jpg

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:53 pm

I also have made a different spool holder that uses bearing. These parts were all designed for and printed with a .75 nozzle so not sure how well they will work with a .5 or .35 Since I use a .8 Extrusions width with the .75 and designed to that a.35 may with an EW of .4 would probably be best if the .75 is not available. I used PETG for all. The end cap is printed 2 times for spools that are very wide or have open spaces in the center.
These are the bearing I used https://www.ebay.com/itm/141791621106 If you can not do a gravity feed the bearing setup will help a lot.
Spool holders with bearings.jpg
Spool Center v1.stl
(4.66 MiB) Downloaded 256 times
Spool Center v1 endcaps.stl
(4.72 MiB) Downloaded 268 times
M2 Spool Mount V1.stl
(846.47 KiB) Downloaded 254 times