I added an E3D Titan to my M2 and you can too!

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
printingPEIces

Re: I added an E3D Titan to my M2 and you can too!

Post by printingPEIces » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:45 pm

insta wrote:
printingPEIces wrote:So if I were to start from scratch on my old M2 (which I have modded for other purposes) or run and get a new M3 and start an upgrade from square 1, what upgrades would I need to do this? I have read a full ed3 v6 hotend and a volcano nozzle, and a thermocouple. would that PT100 replace that thermocouple or am I looking at this all wrong?
If you want, I have the (made one-off by MakerGear) pieces to retrofit a Volcano onto an M2 (Volcano, 0.8mm nozzle, mounting plate, heater, thermistor). It's a drop-in replacement. Cover the cost of the Volcano gear and shipping and it's yours.

As easy as that would make life, this is going to be a corporate purchase and they would like all of the upgrades done under their supervision.

insta

Post by insta » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:10 pm

printingPEIces wrote: As easy as that would make life, this is going to be a corporate purchase and they would like all of the upgrades done under their supervision.
What makes it not under their supervision by ordering the upgrade parts from me? Right now, as far as I'm aware, nobody else has the hardware to mount a Volcano to their M2 without extensive modification to the filament drive and such. Mine keeps everything above the hotend totally stock, and replaces just the hotend and the mounting plate. It doesn't even require a firmware change, and can be done / undone in about 10 minutes.

It was the result of a collaboration / R&D to try and get easier 3rd party hotends onto the M2.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

printingPEIces

Post by printingPEIces » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:44 pm

Policy frowns upon used equipment/third-party vendors. A few other teammates have had past issues it and thus I'd never get approval, so I need to get a new one from direct from factory and upgrade. for my own personal use, I am interested as to what those costs might be?

insta

Post by insta » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:23 pm

printingPEIces wrote:Policy frowns upon used equipment/third-party vendors. A few other teammates have had past issues it and thus I'd never get approval, so I need to get a new one from direct from factory and upgrade. for my own personal use, I am interested as to what those costs might be?
$53 shipped via USPS to the lower 48. I'd suggest adding a silicone sock from Filastruder for it.

Farr0wn3d

Post by Farr0wn3d » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:20 am

Unless you're wanting the volcano for its own specific advantages (printing fast or large extrusion widths) I would simply get the following:

-e3d v6 (not lite), make sure it has the 40w heater cartridge
-e3d PT100 upgrade (this is a different temp probe system compared to a thermistor and thermocouple. It is supposedly more accurate than a thermocouple, and can go higher in temp than a thermistor. info here: http://e3d-online.com/V6-PT100-Sensor-Kit
-e3d titan. not needed but makes life easier

you should also look into an enclosure for your printer, and perhaps a higher power heatbed. I have a difficult time keeping my bed at 120C or above and ultem doesnt like to stick at temps below that, it seems. Print beds are another thing. I was able to get ultem to stick to a PEI sheet, but it took a lot of playing with settings, and in the end what made the biggest difference was baking the spool of ultem for a couple hours (the spool melted in the process). it showed up too wet to print with from 3dxtech (many sealed packages of different materials seem to print way better, and with less ooze, when i throw them in the filament dryer [3d print dry] for a few hrs first)

I'm probably missing some details, but its a start.

insta

Post by insta » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:20 pm

I kinda wish MakerGear would make the mounting plate available. It replaces the V4 mounting plate, and you reuse your stock thermistor and heater cartridge for either E3D or Volcano parts. They both fit right in. The heater throat uses the Chimera heatbreak (vs. the fully-threaded one):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpDW5cWZXWA

printingPEIces

Post by printingPEIces » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:45 pm

That should be enough to get started. I really appreciate the help here. Hopefully I'll be able to pull this off.

singhb2020

Post by singhb2020 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:43 pm

Hey, I recently upgraded my 24V Makergear M2 with an E3D V6 Titan extruder in order to print different types of filament. The only problem that I have been having is upgrading the firmware. When I flashed the suggested firmware (24V Silver Z Motor/ Base Model/ v4 Extruder), my extruder and bed weren't heating up. I was wondering if I am flashing the wrong firmware on the printer and if I am, could someone redirect me to the correct one?

ameridroid

Post by ameridroid » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:55 pm

Do you have a link to the extruder motor you used?