Thumb screw for M2 Bed Leveling

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
makeal

Re: Thumb screw for M2 Bed Leveling

Post by makeal » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:11 pm

psd wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:55 pm
Cut with a metal hack saw ($2 small version from Home Depot or dollar tree works fine.) try not to skip over threads with saw. After cutting put a 45 degree chamfer on cut end by putting knob in vice and using a metal file on it or passing over a sander.
thank you

psd

Post by psd » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:32 pm

you are welcome!
post your make on thingiverse if you make them!
- peter,

innovative product designer and tinkerer

www.petersolomondesign.com

jferguson

Post by jferguson » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:42 am

If it is an ANSI threaded screw (this one isn't) and number 10 or smaller, I can usually shear it off pretty cleanly with my stripper/ crimping tool. If it's Metric (this one is) I grab it in a vise and using a cut-off wheel in a hand grinder (Dremel tool) cut off the portion that makes it too long. I usually run a nut down the length of it which will clean up the thread when I remove it after the cut. I also like to clean up the end with a grinder. Given the size of this one, though, this can be a bit tricky.

BTW, the design of this improvement is really nice. :D
Last edited by jferguson on Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

makeal

Post by makeal » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:15 pm

Thank you for the tips. Came across this https://www.amazon.com/Antrader-M4x16mm ... 07K698LLX/ these are 16mm which should work without cutting

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:30 pm

After owning the M2 for several years, I don't really see a need for this modification. Once properly level, if you don't put undue stress on the platform man handling the build plate, it says level for months. I typically get my Dial indicator and mount out and level it once a year just for good measure.. This is not a cheap import machine that is made from inexpensive materials that come loss and move around in normal use.
But if it helps you out, by all means mod away!!