Happiness with BlTouch sensor in M2?

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
jferguson

Re: Happiness with BlTouch sensor in M2?

Post by jferguson » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:37 pm

Interesting airscapes. I still want to know how you assured yourself that your bed is flat to a couple of tenths (imperial)? I ask because I'm not sure mine is, but I haven't gotten to checking it out yet.

At the level of precision we're discussing here, there is a risk of pig perfuming.

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:07 am

well the DI is only so accurate... I measured 4 spots across in 5 or 6 location and wrote down the measurements and then looked at them.. all 4 corners were 0 other areas would be 0 or + - from 0.. I am sure it is no longer as perfect as it was, and I would guess it is not perfectly repeatable.
I can tell you I am printing a boat load of ABS without any issues at all.. so for me it is good to go.

jferguson

Post by jferguson » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:21 pm

good answer airscapes, thanks

right now I'm wrestling with Configuration.h files for Marlin 1.1.x (1.1.19) which are reported to run on M2 but have different binary settings (true,false) in the ENDSTOP_INVERTING section. I think I'll go with settings in firmware which came with my M2E except for the Z_STOP which has to be different because of the revised logic of the BlTouch.

One must keep a clear head when messing with this stuff. And NEVER to try to modify code after 8:00PM.

best regards,

john

PS, on further reflection, it occurs to me that this variation in ENDSTOP settings may be because the M2's they were used on are not the same. Duh...

ednisley

Post by ednisley » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:46 pm

jferguson wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:21 pm
And NEVER to try to modify code after 8:00PM.
Protip: change exactly one thing at a time and verify what you expected to have happen actually happened!

You should also expect things can change even when you don't change anything:

https://softsolder.com/2018/02/13/m2-pl ... confusion/

TL;DR version: Marlin 1.1 ignored the numeric parameters I'd been using in G28 since the early days.

jferguson

which servo pins to use on M2 Rambo board?

Post by jferguson » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:38 pm

It appears that the servo pins on the BLtouch should be connected to one of the motor extension jacks on the RAMBO Board. They are MX1, MX2, and MX3.

MX1 sounds good, but these connection points each have 6 pins. It looks like 1 and 2 are VCC and Gnd respectively, and if I leave the connector which came with the BlTouch undisturbed, I will plug it in so that pin one will be VCC, Pin2, Gnd, and Pin 3 whatever pin3 on the board does. it seems likely that pin 3 on the connecter is a signal pin and so hopefully is the pin on the board. Is this third pin the one which requires identification in the firmware as 22 or 44?

sorry to be so dim.

john

And by the way, I will soon be giving a lecture series on how much you can accomplish even if you don't really know what you are doing.

airscapes

Re: which servo pins to use on M2 Rambo board?

Post by airscapes » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:54 pm

jferguson wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:38 pm

And by the way, I will soon be giving a lecture series on how much you can accomplish even if you don't really know what you are doing.
You may want to update that to "really don't know what you are doing and don't pay someone to do it for you"!! :D Hate those know-it-alls with deep pockets, they cheat! :lol:
Good luck and please do let us know how it all works out, still keep thinking this would be really good to have..

jferguson

Post by jferguson » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:34 pm

Most of the times I got to do something I didn't understand were when we couldn't find anyone else who did either.