Slice Engineering Copperhead hot end 450C

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...

spmahoney78

Re: Slice Engineering Copperhead hot end 450C

Post by spmahoney78 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:41 am

Has anyone installed one of these onto the M2 yet?

Mach

Post by Mach » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:44 am

In progress on a M2 Gen1. I just got the heater cartridge today. I need to flash the firmware for the new thermistor and rerun the hot end wires. The themsitor cartridge comes with a warning card to updrade to Marlin 2.0 or modify the 1.x firmware with lookup table values.
A couple of thoughts/observations, MG tech support mentioned in a phone call last year that users who had upgraded to a E3D V6 hot end were experiencing mother board failures. I did an E3D upgrade on an M2 Gen 2 without issue and alot of printing since then so curious to see if the extra load causes any problems.
I opted not get the boron nitride paste for the heater cartridge. That may have been a mistake. I'm surprised to see the tolerance play between the hot end block hole and the heater cartridge. I'm assuming it's for thermal expansion reasons. Its not going anywhere due to the screws mounted on both ends but it does move freely in the block. Same on the thermsistor and heat break-both looser than expected.
The block itself is very nice. The heat break is longer than the V4 so you'll lose maybe a 1/2" in the z direction. I'll post some pics when i get time.

Here's the link for a DIY silicone sock mold
https://www.prusaprinters.org/prints/32 ... mold/files

jferguson

Post by jferguson » Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:26 pm

I don't see how you are going to get good heat transfer from the heating element without the paste. And sensor won't work reliably either. I bought one of these for my M2E but haven't installed it yet.

I plan to shorten the heat-break tube so that the length of the assembled device is same as makergear extruder. This requires cutting copper in lathe.

jcspball13

Post by jcspball13 » Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:25 pm

I know this is a very old thread; do you know if the original heater and thermo from V4 works in this??

jferguson

Post by jferguson » Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:40 pm

I never did install it. the splice guys said to buy a new thermo sensor for it because the one they suggested would fit better. I found MakerGear's heater louse. Splice guys told me that the past would fix this. It could be that there is a problem with thermal expansion of the heater which the paste solves. I've had such good luck running my M2 with the factory V4 setup that I don't want to take a chance on screwing it up. The best thing I did was to buy Wham-Bam's magnetic Pex print surface. It was an easy installation the surface last far longer than the tape that MakerGear provides and for me, system is trouble free. I print only PETG so it's possible another filament might not be so happy. don't know