Marlin 2.0 Firmware for M2 Dual Rev D/E

The place to discuss your hardware and software/firmware modifications...
aznoohwee

Marlin 2.0 Firmware for M2 Dual Rev D/E

Post by aznoohwee » Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:22 am

I spent this easter weekend upgrading my "M2_Dual_Extruder_Marlin_Black_Z_Motor 2015/2016" to the latest Marlin 2.0.0 build.

The started with the stock Configuration.h and Configuration_adv.h files and ported the changes over to the latest revision. Additionally, the following key changes were made.

Bed PID Autotune
Changed from bit-bang control to PID control for bed temperature. kP kI and kD default values from the following autotune command.

Code: Select all

M303 C5 D0 E-1 S70
Extruder PID Autotune
Changed from default kP kI and kD values after PID autotune.

M303 C5 D0 E<0 or 1> S<200 or your filament temperature>
Extruder Fan Auto On
Extruder fan turns on automatically when thermistor value reads greater than 50c.

Bed Fan Command Update
Bed cooling fan now needs index specification for control.
Example: Set bed fan to 100%.

M106 P0 S255
Linear Advance Enabled
Linear advance enabled to use pressure-based extrusion. Defaults tuned for V4 nozzle Hatchbox Black 1.75mm PLA at 200c.
Linear advance setting is dependent upon your filament and extrusion temperature and may need to be retuned for each filament

See https://marlinfw.org/docs/features/lin_advance.html and follow instructions to generate calibration g code.
See https://marlinfw.org/docs/gcode/M900.html for gcode to add to start command for custom linear advance.
Note that I have configured the firmware for only one Linear Advance Factor for both nozzles, this can be easily changed by uncommenting EXTRA_LIN_ADVANCE_K in Configuration_adv.h

#define LIN_ADVANCE
#if ENABLED(LIN_ADVANCE)
  //#define EXTRA_LIN_ADVANCE_K // Enable for second linear advance constants
  #define LIN_ADVANCE_K 0.09    // Unit: mm compression per 1mm/s extruder speed
  //#define LA_DEBUG            // If enabled, this will generate debug information output over USB.
#endif
Junction Deviation
Disabled classic jerk in favor of junction deviation. Defaults tuned for previous default acceleration settings.
See http://blog.kyneticcnc.com/2018/10/comp ... arlin.html

Enabled S-Curve acceleration

Disable Soft X Travel Limit
Allows for nozzle to move beyond print area for auto-wipe.

The files are in the links below for reference. Use the following steps to build: Configuration Files

v0:
Configuration.h
Configuration_adv.h

cmenard

Re: Marlin 2.0 Firmware for M2 Dual Rev D/E

Post by cmenard » Wed May 13, 2020 5:47 pm

I've been running Marlin v2.0.x for sometime now and had to disable Linear Advance early on. It seems to be broken with Junction_Deviation and even with Classic Jerk when they moved to LA v1.5. There appears to be a couple issues logged on Github for this. Mine sounded like it was going to beat my extruder to death.

With that said, my printer has made the best prints it ever has with the new firmware. I have a single E3dV6, silver Z-motor, and original Viki setup.

Farr0wn3d

Post by Farr0wn3d » Thu May 14, 2020 1:29 am

cmenard wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 5:47 pm
I've been running Marlin v2.0.x for sometime now and had to disable Linear Advance early on. It seems to be broken with Junction_Deviation and even with Classic Jerk when they moved to LA v1.5. There appears to be a couple issues logged on Github for this. Mine sounded like it was going to beat my extruder to death.

With that said, my printer has made the best prints it ever has with the new firmware. I have a single E3dV6, silver Z-motor, and original Viki setup.
Would you mind elaborating on how your prints have improved? I'm interested in doing this upgrade as well

cmenard

Post by cmenard » Thu May 14, 2020 1:16 pm

Ringing/Ghosting is greatly reduced while still maintaining decent acceleration. The layers just look cleaner when doing back to back prints with the 1.0.x firmware that I was running. Overall I feel it was worth the effort to make the change. My printer has just "worked" for years and I didn't really want to mess with it. However, being stuck at home gave me new ambition.

Mach

Post by Mach » Sun May 17, 2020 4:32 am

Would you mind sharing your Config and Config_adv files? I'd like to give the upgrade a try.

mrinkunas

Post by mrinkunas » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:47 am

@Mach - where you able to upgrade your M2?

I'm intrigued at trying this as well, thought I'm a complete newbie to marlin