Garnier Fructis Extra Hold Hairspray Discontinued!

The place to discuss filament...
Gwhite

Garnier Fructis Extra Hold Hairspray Discontinued!

Post by Gwhite » Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:50 pm

I'm not sure this is the best sub-forum for this, but it's where I learned about it 5 years ago. Several people recommended Garnier Fructis Style Sheer Set Extreme Hold Breathable Hairspray, and I've been using it quite successfully. My prints stick well, and pop right off once the bed is cool. My can is getting a bit low, and I just discovered Garnier has discontinued it.

I've looked at a couple of reviews/comparisons, and one option people like is Paul Mitchell Extra Body Firm Finishing Spray. Others just use Aqua Net Extra Super Hold Hairspray, which costs about a tenth as much & is readily available almost everywhere.

Has everyone else moved on to fancy bed adhesion systems, or can someone recommend a good replacement for the Garnier stuff?

Thanks!

airscapes

Re: Garnier Fructis Extra Hold Hairspray Discontinued!

Post by airscapes » Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:55 pm

Well, I still use the 2" polymide tape with great success. only hair spray I am familiar with is what I buy for my 94 year old mother.. Suave Extreme Hold.. It is not expensive and available in any grocery store.

ednisley

Post by ednisley » Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:40 pm

airscapes wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:55 pm
Suave Extreme Hold
I've been using the same bottle of Suave Max Hold spray basically forever.

It's only an 8, rather than 10, on their hold scale, but I have no idea what that means in terms of 3D printing. It has the key advantage of being in a pump bottle, rather than a pressurized can, so it doesn't disperse a fine mist through the Basement Shop.

I smooth whatever's left on the glass with denatured alcohol on a non-woven pad, until whatever's left becomes a vanishingly thin film over the whole surface. PETG sticks to 90 °C borosilicate glass like it's welded, releases automagically at room temperature, and causes zero drama. The nozzle occasionally needs a water / cheap vodka soak to clear the orifice, because I spritz it so infrequently.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Suave-Max-Ho ... /790384391

I definitely got some serious side-eye while standing in that aisle, though …

Gwhite

Post by Gwhite » Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:24 pm

Thanks! That's two votes for Suave Extreme Hold. I like the idea of the pump spray.

I dug around a bit & found this: https://stampomatica.com/best-hairspray ... -printing/

Their "top pick" is a super cheap L'Oreal product, but apparently it's scented, which I'm not wild about. Suave comes in a bit below Aqua Net.

More options to consider...

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:37 pm

I am fairly sure it is all the same stuff..

Gwhite

Post by Gwhite » Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:27 pm

According to the hairspray review, you want one that contains "copolymer constituents such as PVA, vinyl, or acetate,". Given that PVA is polyvinyl acetate, which is a copolymer, I'm not sure how broad that statement really is...

I think the big differences (besides price) are the concentration of PVA, the solvents & perfumes they might contain, as well as the applicator design (pump vs aerosol). If I had my druthers, I prefer a scentless pump. I suspect "extra hold" just means a higher concentration of PVA.

Supposedly Elmer's glue stick is also PVA, and when I've tried even a thin watered down film of that, it too sticky. I've practically had to blast to remove some prints. Hair spray allows the prints to pop off very easily once the bed is cooled. That makes me think there's something else in the spray that helps with that.

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:57 pm

I guess if my 2" tape eventually runs out I will give the air spray a try... TPU is the worst for pulling up the tape even on a cold bed.. PETG is next in line , don't do any PLA to speak of and ABS works very well on tape. I am guessing hair spray does not work for ABS?

Gwhite

Post by Gwhite » Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:28 pm

I haven't ever tried printing ABS, but others have reported good results with hairspray. I mostly print in enhance PLA (PLA Plus, Pro PLA, etc.) and occasionally with PETG.

Phil

Post by Phil » Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:21 pm

I use an aluminum plate topped with a PEI sheet. There is a whole thread here devoted to that. I need to put an acetone/ABS solution on it to make ABS stick. PLAs, PETG, HIPS, and TPUs stick well with it clean; TPU, a little too well. Nylon needs glue stick; my Markforged came with an Elmer's glue stick for its unheated, phenolic bed. PC warps bad, so it always seems to peel itself off, no matter what I do. PP requires PP.
Funny, I have never actually used hairspray.