Kit assembly questions

Ask your kit assembly questions here...
KiddingMe

Kit assembly questions

Post by KiddingMe » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:57 am

Hello,

Just a couple of questions.

Even after tightening the printed Z-limit switch mount to the rod I can move it up and down or spin it fairly easily. Is this normal? I would think not.

How do you correctly clock or position the extruded motor into its mounting bracket? I imagine you want the extruder perfectly perpendicular to the printing bed but Im not sure how to achieve that besides just eyeballing it. It can rotate only so far within the mount due to the motor harness connector....do I just clock the motor until that connector butts up against the mount?

What are the square sticky pads for? I'm not talking about the ones meant to secure the harness to the frame via zip ties.

Lastly, what is the purpose of the nylon limit stop on the x-axis when this printed belt guide hits one of the motor mount screws first?
Attachments
nylon x limit stop.jpg
nylon x limit stop.jpg (231.04 KiB) Viewed 22902 times
Last edited by KiddingMe on Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

benavery

Re: Kit assembly questions

Post by benavery » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:31 am

The z-limit switch shouldn't move super easily, but mine can be moved by hand (rotated fairly easily, sliding up and down is a bit more difficult). As long as its not going to move when the switch lever is engaged it will be fine. Some see the easily rotating as a 'feature', as I have heard it mentioned you can get a bit of fine tuning of the z-height by just rotating the switch around a bit so the bolt engages it sooner/later. If you took an alcohol wipe to that section of the rod to clean off the oil you could probably get it more solid if it concerns you.

I eyeballed that the extruder nozzle looks square to the frame.

I think the sticky pads are replacement feet for the front/left corner of the printer.

RE the nylon limit stop - good question :-) Perhaps its to just stop the carriage sliding off during shipping.

jimc

Post by jimc » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:39 am

ben is right on all of them. the nylon bushing is just a safety thing. if you happen to have the motor off you NEVER want the carriage to come off the rail. do it once and youll regret it since usually the ball bearing will fall right out of those. you'll be chasing those all over the floor and good luck getting them back in.

KiddingMe

Post by KiddingMe » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:00 am

Thank you for the answers. After switching from my phone to my laptop I realized that my picture shows up way too large so I re-sized it and re-attached it.

I'm still not to sure where the small, square, sticky rubber pads are meant to go. The printer all ready has very large, round pads that are secured to the bottom of the printer with screws. Guess I'll just have to try not to let the abundance of extra hardware worry me...lol.

Just remembered that I also wanted to ask about the fan bracket. The way the two fans near the extruder are mounted seems really un-secure. Does this method of mounting seem to work out well or should I look into some alternative mount that I can print?

Thanks again!

jimc

Post by jimc » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:23 am

that little stock bracket will be good for awhile. atleast long enough to print this one i designed. works really well.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:265170

for the foot. when looking at the printer from the front. the left fwd corner you will notice the big rubber foot is set back. the stick on one goes under the end of that split thick piece of aluminum almost where the big foot should go. kinda keeps that front corner from being unsupported

KiddingMe

Post by KiddingMe » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:36 am

Your fan bracket looks great! Thanks. I'm guessing the two fans still only attach to the extruder via the one screw?

The rubber sticky pad makes sense now. Thank you. There was actually some sticky residue in the spot you described. I'm guessing that's where that one pad came from that I found with no paper backing on it ;-)

benavery

Post by benavery » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:38 am

Given the danger of hitting the 50mm fan into binder clips (if you use them and aren't careful about the starting g-code), a more flimsy bracket is actually a bit helpful - means there is a known weak point that'll either bend, break or flex to protect the extruder if the fan catches anything. Also the single-point attachment allows the 50mm fan to be twisted up and out of the way if you need to get closer to the hotend for whatever reason.

jimc

Post by jimc » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:52 am

yes no matter what the fans are on the one screw. this way like ben said they will swing up or have a little movement anyway if you whack a clip. the fans also need to swing out of the way to service the hot end. on thingiverse look through my other models. i recently made some adjustable bed corners that eliminate the need for clips so you never hit them. i have had mine on for a week or two now and so far these things are working fantastic. there are alot of custom items on thingiverse that members here made which are really cool. just do a search

Dale Reed

Post by Dale Reed » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:30 pm

KiddingMe wrote: Lastly, what is the purpose of the nylon limit stop on the x-axis when this printed belt guide hits one of the motor mount screws first?
R.U.,

As others have noted, the nylon limit stop is there to keep the X carriage from sliding off the end of the rail for any reason -- as noted, you don't want the ball bearings falling out of the slide! But as I look at the picture, I'm wondering if you have the X-limit actuator block (printed part) mounted in the proper pair of holes. You have it mounted on the center and right holes. I seem to recall mounting in on the center and LEFT holes. How far does the carriage go to the left before it hits the limit switch? If the extruder is well past the edge of the glass to the left when the limit actuates, I would say the block is mounted on the wrong pair of holes.

With it mounted on the left and center holes, the carriage will hit the nylon stop right about at the same point the block hits the motor mounting screw -- which is how I think it's designed.

I'm not at my M2 at the moment to look at it (and I assembled mine from kit, too, so I could have it wrong! ;-) ) --- is there someone with a factory-assembled M2 on line who can verify which pair of holes the X-axis switch actuator block is mounted on?

Dale

KiddingMe

Post by KiddingMe » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:50 pm

I thought that at first too but looking back at the assembly guide again it appears I have it correct.
Attachments
image.jpg
(123.09 KiB) Downloaded 602 times