the kit manual

Ask your kit assembly questions here...
jferguson

the kit manual

Post by jferguson » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:00 pm

I apologize for not being able to read without moving my lips, and when reading manuals reading them (gasp) aloud. Despite 7 years at university absorbing the 4 years of information they had compressed into these 7 years, i haven't been able to stop it. SAD.

Spouse is in living room while i'm in an adjacent room assembling my WONDERFUL new M2. When I got to "Insert your hot end into the front hole..." , there was a loud laugh in the next room and a request to see how I proposed to do this.

This is truly a wonderful machine. I've run 6 rolls of PLA through my little FabriKator TinyBoy with what I thought were pretty good results, spinners for R/C aircraft, Jigs and fixtures for assembling planes and many cases for electronic projects etc.
but it was just too small. I figure I'm a day away from my first print with the M2. I'm drooling.

Well, I drool a lot anyway - goes with moving lips when reading.

Rick, thanks for a great product.

PS it would be wonderful if i could find on the website photos from every angle of a correctly assembled M2.
Last edited by jferguson on Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sthone

Re: the kit manual

Post by sthone » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:17 pm

PS it would be wonderful if i could find on the website photos from every angle of a correctly assembled M2.
https://www.makergear.com/products/m2 :D

jferguson

Post by jferguson » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:59 pm

I suppose I should have been more specific. Doubtless there are some truly marvelous cable routings out there. sthone, the photo you referenced doesn't really do it for clarity of what was done here. The good thing is that this is easily improved once I figure it out, but I'm sure I'm not the first.
best, john

sthone

Post by sthone » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:07 pm

Oh yeah I hear ya on the wiring. I've built two kits and fitting the wires in the box was not fun. Later I picked up a factory built M2 and got to see how they did it and at that point I wasn't going back to do the other two over again. :?

I hear the metal enclosures are even smaller too.... I've been meaning to upgrade to them but I'm to lazy to re run everything at this point.

Building the kit was definitely worth it in my eyes I learned a lot doing it and after that I wasn't afraid to try any of the other upgrades that came along.

-Steve

insta

Post by insta » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:59 pm

The metal enclosures are easier to jam more wires into, somehow.

I used to have issues getting a single extruder with Viki to fit in the plastic boxes, but I can fit all the wiring for a dual comfortably into the metal boxes.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

jferguson

Post by jferguson » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:08 pm

Bingo. Rick's support people can breath easy. I finished assembly without a single call to support or even an email. Not only that, it works,
I am a little surprised at the amount of wiring in excess of what seems to be needed to get the job done. Usually i find when routing harnesses that they are too short, but often that's a hint that i chose routes badly or even made a part too big. I suppose I could cut off the extra wire and reinstall the fasteners where they are the screw cinched type or replace them where they are just the push type. But i won't.
Now on to getting a Cura profile up for it.
Also see how it does with some of my existing print g-code.