How do you tell the M2 which color to use for a part?

The official subforum for discussion of the installation and use of the official M2 Dual Extruder upgrade.
Wjdoy

How do you tell the M2 which color to use for a part?

Post by Wjdoy » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:07 pm

Rookie question. I have been printing with one extruder for 7 months and would like to upgrade to dual extruders. My question is very basic. If I create a part, let's say a whiffle ball to be printed white and in side I want a red cube, How do I tell the M2 to do this? I'm using AutoCAD Fusion 360 and Simplify3D. Another example would be a Zebra, is it possible to make something as complex as a zebra?

Thanks.

Jules

Re: How do you tell the M2 which color to use for a part?

Post by Jules » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:15 pm

To do a dual color print, you actually create two files. One for the red cube and one for the white whiffle ball. You place the orientation of the colored parts the way you want them and then save them individually.

Example of the technique:
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:28202

Then you bring them into S3D at the same time, and group them and tell the software that you want the cube to be Color 1, which is the left extruder and the ball to be Color 2 which is the right extruder. (Or vice-versa.)

Once you install the dual upgrade, you change the configuration of the S3D to the dual, which gives you a lot more options. It has a Dual Extrusion Wizard that pretty much sets everything up the way you need it. :D