M3-ID is a great hardware, but .....

The place to discuss the M3-ID
beanlee

M3-ID is a great hardware, but .....

Post by beanlee » Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:54 pm

the software that shows its full potential is lacking.

My labmates wondered why I did not pick Prusa Mk3/Ultimaker S3 four months ago, they concluded M3-ID is over-priced. But I insisted and I believe I am among the few in Hong Kong, as it is much easier to buy cheap Chinese brand printers.

After four months, my labmates are now amazed how reliable my M3-ID is. Their machines have already broken down at least once already, those are toys, jokes.

However, one thing that makes me upset is the poor slicer selection available to M3-ID. S3D works ok out of the box, but I find it is a day and night difference once switched to Prusaslicer.

Makergear, please make OFFICAL profiles of popular slicers for M3-ID. I really want to try CURA 4, no profile. Voxzalier, no profile. Prusaslicer, no profile.

I am sure the sale of Makergear machines will sky-rocket if there are more slicers available.

rpollack

Re: M3-ID is a great hardware, but .....

Post by rpollack » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:10 pm

Thank you. Your feedback is very much appreciated.

Rick

Gwhite

Post by Gwhite » Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:49 am

As long as you are at it, it would be nice to get profiles for older machines like my M2E for Cura & Prusaslicer.

Simplify3D has not had an update in almost a year, and they have slipped their promised Version 5 schedule badly. They won't tell people what features they are adding, when it will be out, how much it will cost, etc. People are getting VERY tired of the poor communications.

Thanks!

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:39 am

I posted a functional profile for the M2 and the prusa slicer a while back. In fact I am finishing up a project and have set up one of the smaller prints to run with the Prusa slicer to compare to the S3d 4.01 as soon as the big one is done.
Not saying this profile is tweaked but it works.. also the settings are all very close to s3ds and the help is more helpful the s3ds
https://misc.airscapesart.com/M2E_Prusa ... dle.ini.gz

Gwhite

Post by Gwhite » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:29 am

airscapes wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:39 am
I posted a functional profile for the M2 and the prusa slicer a while back. In fact I am finishing up a project and have set up one of the smaller prints to run with the Prusa slicer to compare to the S3d 4.01 as soon as the big one is done.
Not saying this profile is tweaked but it works.. also the settings are all very close to s3ds and the help is more helpful the s3ds
https://misc.airscapesart.com/M2E_Prusa ... dle.ini.gz
Which version of the M2? They made a big change between (I think) the D & E version in terms of where the Z-limit switch was located. Somebody had an old Cura profile that slammed the bed into the extruder because they had the wrong version. This is one reason I've been reluctant to try to create my own profiles, or try some of the ones floating around that don't specify the EXACT version of printer

beanlee

Post by beanlee » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:51 am

rpollack wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:10 pm
Thank you. Your feedback is very much appreciated.

Rick
Thanks, Rick. The general consumer always puts price, not reliability and maintenance as a top priority. Cheap machines are dominating the market and this actually encourages more software support and development due to a larger user population.

The industrial-grade hardware of M3-ID is bullet-proof, but its performance needs to be fully maximized with GREAT software support. Less software support -> Less popular -> Fewer customers -> Fewer sales

If you take a look at Simplify3D forum, there are many upset users, particularly the long-awaited version 5. For me, S3D is fine for basic printing, it performs well, but the advanced option is limited compared to Cura and Prusaslicer.

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:45 am

Mine is the E purchased Feb 2018. The part sliced with Prusaslicer looks identical to the part sliced with s3d 4.01 but I have not played much with the Prusa software as 4.01 does what I need. However I may make an effort to use the PS on more parts I print all the time with S3D to get it dialed in. Just too easy to open my factory file and print knowing it will come out how it did last time..

Gwhite

Post by Gwhite » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:06 pm

airscapes wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:45 am
Mine is the E purchased Feb 2018. The part sliced with Prusaslicer looks identical to the part sliced with s3d 4.01 but I have not played much with the Prusa software as 4.01 does what I need. However I may make an effort to use the PS on more parts I print all the time with S3D to get it dialed in. Just too easy to open my factory file and print knowing it will come out how it did last time..
Thanks! I should have taken a closer look at the file name...

I wish I could rely on factory files like that. Most of the time it works, but I just changed to a new spool of eSun PLA+ that I've used many times in the past. Either I got a bad spool, or they seem to have changed the properties. Back to square 2...

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:15 pm

I always run my calibration models and measure filament with new spools or hotend/nozzle change.

Gwhite

Post by Gwhite » Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:46 pm

I did a calibration, but the problem I'm having is with adhesion. It worked OK on the first couple things I printed, and now it won't stick. It's possible either my bed level got knocked out of alignment, or the filament soaked up too much moisture (not that it's been humid, and I've left spools on for weeks in the winter before without issues). I've got the spool in my dryer now, and will re-level before I fire it up again.