Making an M2's Nozzle Self Cleaning & gcode

General discussion topics
bradisrad

Making an M2's Nozzle Self Cleaning & gcode

Post by bradisrad » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:25 pm

Hi,

I have Simplify 3D, where in the application can I add a default gcode to move the nozzle back and forth (essentially self clean the nozzle) every time before it starts printing? Would like to add it right before ooze a string filament. Also if you have any gcode or links that already does this, please let me know. Thanks!

Jules

Re: Making an M2's Nozzle Self Cleaning & gcode

Post by Jules » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:58 pm

It's already included in the Startup Script if you have used the correct configuration for your setup in S3d. The nozzle will purge off to the side and then wipe itself off before it begins any print.

bradisrad

Post by bradisrad » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:58 am

It does go off to the side and squirt some filament before wiping it off on the bed, but the issue is that often the filament curls up onto the nozzle and stays there, messing up the prints if I don't help take if off before it begins. So it would be better to have it wipe back and forth on steel wool or steel sponge on a 3D printed part, then have it squirt, then start printing.

creativedex

Post by creativedex » Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:49 pm

A rubber wipe maybe but never anything that could scratch the tip of the nozzle! Even the tiniest of scratch will give you less then desirable results, it will print just not as it should. If its curling up on you then you have a dirty nozzle that either needs cleaning or a longer purge.

The tweezers they include works well for just that but always go from the top of the nozzle down.

sgrankin

Post by sgrankin » Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:51 am

I ended up tweaking the S3D default scripts when I had the same problem, and with the current config I almost never have to use the tweezers (as long as the nozzle is clean... ).

IIRC the tweaks were, on ending to retract the filament ~20mm after the print is done (less ooze solidifying on the nozzle as it's cooling, to keep it clean), and on start to move the head off the platform before lifting the platform (avoids pushing anything that's hanging off the nozzle back onto it). I think I may have reduced the amount purged to the bare minimum as well...

My full scripts here: https://gist.github.com/sgrankin/aa2d1a ... 8ab49b5040