Where is the Makergear User Community?

General discussion topics
zemlin

Where is the Makergear User Community?

Post by zemlin » Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:38 pm

My first 3D printer was an M2 back in 2016. I outgrew it and moved to another make - but at the time this forum was an invaluable resource and I learned a TON from the other users.

Based on my recommendations the library digital media lab where I'm now working part time just bought a few M3-ID machines.
Would love to exchange tips and tricks with other users, but this forum seems to have dried up. Has the user community moved to another platform, or has the MakerGear market dried up and there isn't a user community?

airscapes

Re: Where is the Makergear User Community?

Post by airscapes » Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:06 am

From what I have read, they are selling their machines to schools and such.. I still love my M2 but when I describe it to someone, I say it is like that 1959 Cast Iron Table Saw we had in High School wood shop. Worked like a bear but no bells or whistles and you had to know how to use it... Was not plug and play.. I would have to guess staying in business when building you machine in the USA has to be hard with all the cheap junk on the market.. Had a co-worker raving about the $100 Ender 3 pro he bought.. I was like man you bought a Yugo.. but he thinks that is a great way to start.. How can you argue a $2000 machine is a better way to get into something you man not like. Me, I don't like to upgrade, I want tools that works and will last a lifetime.. but that is not how young people think.. The other thing to keep in mind is back then the forums were all there was, now everyone goes to facebook groups where they can never find an old post, just keep asking the same questions over and over.. so forums die.. Just like the Wicked Edge Forum.. FB groups is full of people, forum.. dried up.. Just my 2 cents.. I am still here every day, hoping for something interesting!

Gwhite

Post by Gwhite » Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:51 pm

I still love and use my M2E almost constantly. I researched the market thoroughly in 2017, and bought it as a "kit" for my first printer, and I have no regrets. I don't post here often because it just keeps working fine. With cheaper machines filling up the "beginner" market, I suspect customers for the MakerGear printers are mostly past the steep part of the learning curve. They are just using them & not asking a lot of questions.

The impression I have is they are being bought mostly by schools and small manufacturing operations, both of whom need solid, reliable machines that are hard to break.

zemlin

Post by zemlin » Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:53 pm

Gwhite wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:51 pm
The impression I have is they are being bought mostly by schools and small manufacturing operations, both of whom need solid, reliable machines that are hard to break.
which is exactly why I suggested the M3-ID for our application. We run the machines all day long making prints for patrons. Just need solid machines that are consistent and reliable. I'm new to IDEX though, so was hoping to find some others active here to discuss that aspect of the process.

Appreciate the replies.

theboz1419

Post by theboz1419 » Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:02 am

Its been a while since I have posted and or been on the forums.

I have had my M2 since around 2017 and for a while I had been using it for just one thing and I didnt know how to make my own designs.

Fast forward until this year and I have a job that had an idea and I had a printer that needed some work and so I learned how to use Fusion 360.

Now, my printer has been running almost non-stop for the last 4 months or so building prototypes for a work side project.

Soon, my designs will be at UPS, Amazon, Fedex, and a few other places. Still using Zemlin's PETg settings.
Builder of custom wifi BBQ temperature controllers

theboz1419

Post by theboz1419 » Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:02 am

Its been a while since I have posted and or been on the forums.

I have had my M2 since around 2017 and for a while I had been using it for just one thing and I didnt know how to make my own designs.

Fast forward until this year and I have a job that had an idea and I had a printer that needed some work and so I learned how to use Fusion 360.

Now, my printer has been running almost non-stop for the last 4 months or so building prototypes for a work side project.

Soon, my designs will be at UPS, Amazon, Fedex, and a few other places. Still using Zemlin's PETg settings.
Builder of custom wifi BBQ temperature controllers

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:57 pm

Not sure if you saw this post.. but MG is no more, as far as I know. They still have some items for sale, the actioned off a lot of stuff from their shop as well.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10166

rpollack

Post by rpollack » Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:22 pm

Look for a MakerGear newsletter, probably next week.

We've been rebuilding our supply chain - high prices and long lead times forced us to find new suppliers. It took several months just to get spare parts in stock and in late December we were finally able to start building new machines. We did not auction anything off - we started to but cancelled it and just focused on rebuilding.

Here's to 2023 being a much more productive year!!

Rick

jferguson

Post by jferguson » Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:56 pm

Wonderful. It's so good to read this. I hope things go well for you guys, designers, manufacturers, and marketers of a truly wonderful product.

good luck....

Gwhite

Post by Gwhite » Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:01 am

That's the best news I've heard all year! Thanks for the update!