MakerGear Forum Shutting Down

General discussion topics
rpollack

MakerGear Forum Shutting Down

Post by rpollack » Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:52 pm

MakerGear is facing severe supply chain disruptions and we are working on finding an entity to acquire MakerGear. A message is posted on the MakerGear website. If MakerGear is acquired the forum may remain available but at this time we anticipate shutting it down in July.

It has been my privilege to work with the MakerGear community. Thank you for your many contributions over the years!!

Rick

Phil

Re: MakerGear Forum Shutting Down

Post by Phil » Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:54 pm

Sad to hear that, Rick.
I was hoping to see you again at IMTS in September.

Gwhite

Post by Gwhite » Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:21 pm

Best of luck to everyone at MakerGear. You've got great products, and a great team. I hope you can weather this storm and come out the far side in good shape for the future.

sthone

Post by sthone » Sun Jun 12, 2022 11:47 pm

Rick, Sorry to hear that and its sad news for sure. Buying my first M2 kit changed my life like I never would have imagined and I hope someone comes to the rescue. I know the forum isn't that active anymore but it'd be a shame to lose all of the great info everyone has contributed over the years.

Whatever happens I just want to say thanks for everything you've accomplished with MakerGear and also for providing the most amazing tools to us makers.

Gwhite

Post by Gwhite » Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:06 pm

I think there are several reasons for the low forum traffic:

1) The printers work very well. Many concerns have been addressed by revision upgrades & improvements.

2) A lot of the basic questions have been answered here.

3) The market for these machines is not primarily for newbies. Neophytes are off fighting issues with other machines. That said, my MG2 was my first 3D printer. The folks that hung out on the forum 4 or 5 years ago were generally very experienced and helpful, and answered questions quickly & succinctly.

I have no idea if there is any way to transfer any of the accumulated knowledge here to (for example) a Groups.io group.

DarkPrince

Post by DarkPrince » Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:50 pm

I haven't been an active part of the community but at least had the opportunity to own an M2 for.... 7 years now. Printed something even just yesterday and still going strong but a bit worn (HBP failed this weekend). It has been a fantastic machine and it's pushing through a large project even now.

Sad hearing how troublesome things have been, and I wish future endeavors whichever way they go works out for everyone. Thank you for the wonderful machine.
- Craig
Professional & Hobbyist Electronics Engineer

willnewton

Post by willnewton » Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:31 pm

Thanks Rick and the MG team. You gave many of us a great gift and absolutely changed my life the past 8 years in terms of having my first exposure to the 3D printing world. I have made so many beautiful things, functional tools, and piles of spaghetti. :D

My M2 is still pumping out PLA after all these years.

I know things work out for you in the future. You will always carry the most valuable piece of equipment Makergear owns between your ears. It is portable, adaptable, experienced, and most importantly, paid for!

Your value has not changed just because the market and supply chain did. Don’t forget that.
I'm finally back to where I started two days ago!

A thread with some stuff in it I update every once in a while. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9
See some of my stuff http://www.thingiverse.com/willnewton/favorites

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:30 pm

Will this site http://makergear.wikidot.com/m2-technical-guide and Github also be doing away?

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:01 am

If this forum goes dark, I have a functional copy for read only access. If you are interested, please pm me you email address so I can send you the link when it is online. I also grabbed the wiki.
Hopefully it won't go dark and my efforts will be for naught .
Doug

hdlbq

Post by hdlbq » Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:50 pm

Sorry to hear such bad news.
Thanks to all the MakerGear Team for their support, and the very good products they design.
Could I do something to help you ?
Sincerely Yours