3mm options

General discussion topics
Bratag

Re: 3mm options

Post by Bratag » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:30 pm

insta wrote:Its really not that big of a hassle. It's printing 1 part, undoing 2 screws, removing the old part, installing the new printed part with the 3mm hotend. Then set the filament diameter in your slicing software to 2.85mm (or whatever you measure it to be). I honestly believe it took me longer to find all the links for you in my reply than it'd take to do the job.
Alrighty - you convinced me. Now all I have to do is convince the wife :). Looking forwards to trying out the M2 soon.

wmgeorge

Post by wmgeorge » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:37 pm

So where is the file for the part to be printed out?

Its really not that big of a hassle. It's printing 1 part, undoing 2 screws, removing the old part, installing the new printed part with the 3mm hotend. Then set the filament diameter in your slicing software to 2.85mm (or whatever you measure it to be). I honestly believe it took me longer to find all the links for you in my reply than it'd take to do the job.
Retired Master Electrician, Commercial HVAC/R,CNC Router

Jules

Post by Jules » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:00 pm

wmgeorge wrote:So where is the file for the part to be printed out?

Its really not that big of a hassle. It's printing 1 part, undoing 2 screws, removing the old part, installing the new printed part with the 3mm hotend. Then set the filament diameter in your slicing software to 2.85mm (or whatever you measure it to be). I honestly believe it took me longer to find all the links for you in my reply than it'd take to do the job.
It's that Thingiverse link that insta posted in his initial response. :D

wmgeorge

Post by wmgeorge » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:15 pm

I thought it had problems with fitting correctly?
Retired Master Electrician, Commercial HVAC/R,CNC Router

Bratag

Post by Bratag » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:57 pm

I printed and fit the V3b into it just fine. I dont make use of it a great deal but its handy to have.

insta

Post by insta » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:42 am

Bratag wrote:I printed and fit the V3b into it just fine. I dont make use of it a great deal but its handy to have.
oh, heh, this thread -- did you actually do the 3mm conversion? If so you're one of a very small % of people who have -- please post feedback!
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

Bratag

Post by Bratag » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:22 pm

insta wrote:
Bratag wrote:I printed and fit the V3b into it just fine. I dont make use of it a great deal but its handy to have.
oh, heh, this thread -- did you actually do the 3mm conversion? If so you're one of a very small % of people who have -- please post feedback!
I did. It was easiest just to have a complete extruder with fans etc all attached rather than needing to transfer them each time I swapped. So it became a process of unplug, undo screws attaching the extruder to the moto , put on new 3mm version and then replug everything.

It printed just fine. Obviously I needed a 3mm filament guide tube but I had one of those from my old printer.

Since I have switched to the E3D I find myself wanting to go back to the V3b in any filament size, but its there if I ever need it.