Help with purchasing the proper MakerGear M2 setup

General discussion topics
Portertown

Help with purchasing the proper MakerGear M2 setup

Post by Portertown » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:19 am

After about a month of looking at all the 3D printers on the market I have decided to purchase the MakerGear M2. Reading the great info on this forum and the members of this forum sharing so much info was a large part of why I selected the MakerGear.
I need a little help from the members here to make sure I purchase my printer setup so it will work the best for me and my needs. I am totally new to 3D printing.
I want setup my printer in a separate room from the room my desktop computer is located. I am planning to install Simplify3D on my desktop computer where I already have Fusion 360 design software installed. I plan to order the printer with the LCD installed at the factory and not use a computer at the printer. Just load print files with the SD card from the desktop computer into the LCD unit on the printer.
Is this a good way to proceed? Or would it be best to purchase a laptop computer for use with the printer?
I am a little confused about how to use the Quick Start App. Would it be ok to bring the printer to the desktop computer for the initial setup and then move it to the other room where it will be used?
Any help you can provide to this rookie would be greatly appreciated. I am open to any and all suggestions.

insta

Re: Help with purchasing the proper MakerGear M2 setup

Post by insta » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:31 pm

Printer in the other room with SD card from my computer is exactly how I run. It works well, some pros & cons, but it's what I do.

You can also move the machine around to do the quickstart app, like you suggested. It'll work exactly as you hope :)
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

sprior

Post by sprior » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:12 pm

I have a totally different approach. I have the printer in my finished basement connected to a Raspberry Pi running Octoprint and is wired into my home network. So I design with Fusion 360 upstairs on my laptop, then slice with Simplify3D and upload the resulting gcode file to Octoprint over my network. Then I go downstairs and turn the printer on, then use the web browser in my smartphone to control the printer and start the print. After watching for a while to make sure things are off to a good start I go back upstairs and can view the print progress via the webcam served by Octoprint. When the print finishes I get an email with an attached picture of the print. But I do have a fair amount of experience in setting up networking and computers in general, so this might not be for you, but it is a possibility.

I don't have a LCD attached to the printer and never use the SD card interface.

mlr53

Post by mlr53 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:52 pm

I have the M2 with the LCD. I use a lap top with autocad 3D and inventor Fusion, and S3D. I save to the SD card and run the printer from the LCD interface. It works great. The only time I used the quick start app was to set up the first time, and twice since then. once when I changed to the SS extruder nozzle, and once when I had my one and only plugged nozzle that I couldn't clear with the extruder on the printer. I have printed almost night and day since I received my printer, many prints taking close to 20 hrs. being the longest single print project. Most taking 6 to 8 hrs. I put one on before going to work, start another when I get home in the afternoon, and start another before going to bed at night. I recommend getting the SS nozzle, as it allows you to print carbon fiber material without the excessive wear on the nozzle, and still prints the other materials as well. Just note that you want it in the notes when you order the printer.

Portertown

Post by Portertown » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:02 am

Thanks for all the replies.
I think I will order my printer with the LCD and start out on my journey of learning how to 3D with that setup. I may find that I want to operate it different later on and if so, I will then change my setup.
I am sure I am going to need lots of help getting up to speed on this new technology (at least to me).
Again, thanks for the help.

Portertown