files

Post by turtleman » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:52 pm

Does it matter what files you use, stl type or others? thanks

ednisley

Re: files

Post by ednisley » Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:01 am

turtleman wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:52 pm
Does it matter what files you use, stl type or others?
It depends on which solid model file types your slicer will accept. For example, Slic3r can handle STL, OBJ, AMF, and 3MF, although I've never needed anything other than STL.

It's worth mentioning that NGC / GCODE files are not compatible between printers, because they assume a variety of printer hardware configurations and setups. Always start with a solid model, slice it with whatever your configuration may be, then print the resulting NGC file.

Aaaaand solid models downloaded from the InterWebs tend to be non-manifold crap with bad geometry capable of driving the slicer out of its mind: always always always preview the G-Code paths before you print anything!

turtleman

Post by turtleman » Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:33 pm

Thank you so much for your information. I am very new and i am still learning the printer alone. I have a Makergear M2 which I like but, I want to print my parts and cant. It starts fine then about 15 minutes later the head goes off and move out of range. I am also looking for a person to re-do my file as i made changes to the design.

Thanks Tom

I was just looking and i am not sure what is normal in the G-code file?

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:01 pm

Hi Tom, what slicer are you using?

The normal process to create a printable file from scratch is to use a CAD program to make your 3d model, export that model as an STL, then import the STL into the slicer software, and finally slice it and export the gcode. The gcode is what is sent to the printer either by usb serial or copied to the sd card and physically placed into the printer.

There are of course variations on this process but that is the basic flow.
Slicers make Gcode, printers reads Gcode to print.

So the learning curve is quite great to start. Even if you download a file that is already in STL format, you have to learn the slicer software and all the setting as well as the hardware things like bed level and filament change etc. Take your time and don't get frustrated.
If you would like one on one help I would be willing to do a zoom call or phone call. I remember the frustration very well, just search for my posts in this forum! :-)
Doug

Gwhite

Post by Gwhite » Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:34 am

turtleman wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:33 pm
Thank you so much for your information. I am very new and i am still learning the printer alone. I have a Makergear M2 which I like but, I want to print my parts and cant. It starts fine then about 15 minutes later the head goes off and move out of range. I am also looking for a person to re-do my file as i made changes to the design.

Thanks Tom

I was just looking and i am not sure what is normal in the G-code file?
The problem you are describing sounds like what happened to me when I tried to communicate with the printer over USB with a Windows machine. If the computer gets bored, goes to sleep, or has any sort of hiccup that affects the USB output, it can cause the printer to lose its marbles. This occurs even when there's nothing on the computer that should be trying to talk to the printer. I have the separate controller box that I can use to load files from an SD card, so I keep the computer disconnected from the printer. There's probably a way to tell Windows not to mess with the USB connection to the printer, but I can leave it disconnected, and that eliminated a LOT of crashes.

I'm not sure what the fix is if you don't have a separate controller. I'm sure there has to be a way to set up the connection, but someone else will have to chime in on that. Possibly a USB time-out setting?

turtleman

Post by turtleman » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:59 pm

Thank you so much for the info and it just may be that, i will see if i can do the card and try that next.

Thanks