multiple parts and warping

General discussion topics
sherbs

multiple parts and warping

Post by sherbs » Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:02 pm

Hi Folks,

I'm new to 3d printing and working with an M3-SE.

Material: PLA
Bed: 70C
Nozzle: 220C
No enclosure, ambient temp about 25C

After running through a lot of test prints with a couple of parts that I'm trying to produce, I reached a point where I was really happy with how both of these parts were coming out when printed individually.

I then went to set up a print with multiple copies of each part auto arranged on the print bed - 15 in total (5 copies of one part, 10 of the other part). All of the parts were affected by warpage and shrinkage over the first few millimeters up from the print bed.

I'm using Simplify3D to generate gcode.

In both cases a skirt was used with 2 layers & 4mm offset but I don't think that had anything to do with the warping. Rather I suspect it's the additional time required to put new layers down on each part given the increase in the number of parts. Also, as far as cooling settings, Layer 0 fan 0%, Layer 1 fan 100% - not sure if that is important or not.

I'm testing again now using rafts and just 3 parts at once rather than 15 but wanted to post here to see if there are others that have faced and solved the same problem. I did search the forum and will continue but haven't yet found a thread on this - would be happy to be pointed in the right direction but not sure what to search for.

Thanks for any help!
-G