Fula-flex 2.0

Post your advice, tips, suggestions, etc...
Calpoog

Fula-flex 2.0

Post by Calpoog » Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:06 am

Does anyone have experience with the Fula-flex 2.0 product? I've been having some serious adhesion issues with the default kapton tape applied, even reapplied which went poorly with the provided 2 inch tape. I'll be trying hair spray directly on the glass, but have been looking at other options. I ordered a PEI sheet and it arrived horribly warped so I'm just sending it back. I honestly wasn't sure if that applies to the glass or directly to the heating surface. The fula flex looked intriguing because it won't use the plastic at all and I assume I'd apply the magnetic tape directly to the Makergear hot plate to then magnetically attach/remove the new print surface as necessary. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated or just point me in a better direction with step by step instructions as I've had trouble putting all the product recommendations floating around into practice.

airscapes

Re: Fula-flex 2.0

Post by airscapes » Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:46 pm

So what printer do you have, what are you printing (size of model) and what type of filament have you been having adhesion issues with? There is not much that won't stick to the Polymide tape if your starting Z offset, speed and Extrusion multiplier are all set correctly.
For success with ABS and Nylon you need a heated enclosure, the following do not require a heated enclosure.. PLA, PETG and TPU. My M2 is from 2018 and I print all the above types of filament with very little difficulty. Nylon warps the worst and I don't sue it too often, but can normally make my model in a way that reduces the warping.

I replace my bed tape regularly with the 2" tape. There is a science and an art to the tape install, a light box and tape roll jig help a lot! I get the draw to the PEI stuff. I did try the stick-on sheet they give you with one of the Amazon PETG spools.. Did not stay stuck to the glass and was not flat enough for my taste. The main issue with the tape is PETG can be very hard to release if your Z offset is not dead on.. A little too close and the tape will come off with the part or you break the part removing it.

Anyway, I would guess if you are having issues with the above types of filaments it is not the bed surface causing the issue. Most likely is improper starting height (Z offset) or too fast a print speed for the size of the model or it's bed contact surface area. Could also be a bed that is not level if you have parts that stick in some areas of the bed and always not stick in others. If you are talking about ABS/Nylon warping off the bed, that is lack of enclosure and/or shape of model. I.E. sharp square corners contacting the bed will always warp, a curved rounded one will only slightly if at all.

Printed this yesterday out of MakerGear Natural ABS.. their ABS is really good stuff not sure where they buy it but, like ALL ABS/Nylon/PETG has to be dried and stored in a vacuum bag to keep it dry. Sorry pic is not very clear.. but the point I wanted to show was no warping off the plate.
abs print.jpg

Calpoog

Re: Fula-flex 2.0

Post by Calpoog » Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:14 pm

I'm actually having issues with PLA. I'll try reapplying the tape, it's a real pain! I've dialed in my z height very well, with calibration squares printing at 5.05mm height near the corners and 4.94 in the center (the glass bed must not be perfectly flat). I hadn't properly dialed it in when I had the bed tape on, and the part was small but shaped in a way with lots of pull when shrinking. I even had a large raft and while the raft would print fine, as soon as only a few layers of the part were built on top, it would take the raft up with it.

I just got done installing my dual upgrade on my M2 that I've had for years as a gift but hadn't had the need for. But before when it was still single and the original sheet of tape, it failed, and after applying the 2" tape continued to fail. I've really dialed it in since adding the dual so maybe I'll tape it up and give it a retry with the better tolerances.