How To - Pausing a print at a specific layer. (Simplify3D)

Post your advice, tips, suggestions, etc...
brandonr49

Re: How To - Pausing a print at a specific layer. (Simplify3

Post by brandonr49 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:59 am

After reading through some of the Marlin documentation this appears to be impossible to do without an LCD screen. Without it the M0 command just runs straight through.
Is that right? I have to spend $100 on a hardware upgrade for something that could be supported in software?
Why doesn't Marlin support the M226 command?

Jules

Post by Jules » Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:23 pm

If you are referring to pausing a print, yes you can do that without an LCD screen. (I do it for color changes all the time....no LCD.)

Go back and read the first post in the thread - the M0 command is ONLY used on LCD screens, the others use a different code.

jsc

Post by jsc » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:53 pm

The pause gcode depends on the host software you are using. If you are using S3D or OctoPrint, M0 is correct. If you are using Pronterface or Repetier Host, it is @pause. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1584

sthone

Post by sthone » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:09 am

Ok... this same came up in another thread recently but I'm posting it here instead so others don't run into the same problem trying to follow this thread....

I just tried a pause/color change tonight and they must have changed something in S3D in the last revision or so because I too am now getting a retract upon unpausing the print.

Maybe they changed something with how the G92 command is handled or something but my pause code is no longer working with S3D. :oops:

It still works fine running with Octoprint (assuming you use the M0 over the M25 command.) but if your using Simplfy3d you might be SOL until someone smart enough figures this out again. :?

Jules

Post by Jules » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:07 am

Oh groovy. :roll:

whoDat

Post by whoDat » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:56 pm

Will have to try this method...

I've always used the 'Stop/Start printing at height' settings in the advanced tab of Simplify3D. What I didn't like about this method :

1. This completely stops the print, does not just pause it. So must manually restart at a certain height
and remove the gcode starting script on the 2nd run so nozzle does not hit the print.
2. The settings are in mm rather than layer height! Would like to have both. Using a ruler to measure mm is not precise enough.

So yeah this method seems better, except that you have to edit the gcode manually...

whoDat

Bernie X

Post by Bernie X » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:52 pm

jsc wrote:The pause gcode depends on the host software you are using. If you are using S3D or OctoPrint, M0 is correct. If you are using Pronterface or Repetier Host, it is @pause. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1584
Pronterface doesn't recognize @pause

airscapes

Re: How To - Pausing a print at a specific layer. (Simplify3D)

Post by airscapes » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:25 pm

NEED TO PAUSE FOR NUT insertion;
Spent a bit of time trying to figure this out completely.. the info was all there but just wanted to make it simple for the next guy.

Using M2 with Simplified 3d v4.01 (should work the same with newer) and Octoprint.
Script tab in S3D, down bottom (Additional Terminal commands for post processing)
To pause, drop bed to make room, put nut in hole, restart print, enter the following
{REPLACE "\n; layer 28, Z = " "; layer 3\nG91\nG0 Z50\nG90\nM84 S0\nM0\nG92 E0\n; layer 28"}

Change the 28s to the layer you want to stop on, if there is not enough room to access the part at Z50 change to something larger.
When you have all the nuts placed in the prints, click the resume button on the octoprint control tab.
Works like a charm, I can make really nice knobs for pennies compare to what the hardware store charges..
Not sure it works yet, but will update and remove this sentence if it does not .. I covered top of nut with polymide tape to see if it would help with adhesion since that first layer over the nut does not stick..
Do not cut the tape over the hole.. realized that was dumb on the last nut.
nuts1.jpg
nuts2.jpg
Nuts3.jpg
Knobs.jpg