Samll familair knurled box

Show off your prints!!!
crawfdp1

Samll familair knurled box

Post by crawfdp1 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:17 pm

Folks,

As a newbie to Rhino 5 (Mac) and happy new owner of a M3-ID I've recreated the little threaded-lid box that came with the printer. Well, almost-- left off their logo, and made two versions-- first one with male threads on the cap like they sent, and the more standard 'box' version with the male thread on the container side. I've zipped the Rhino file of the latter plus the base and cap stl files, added them to my Dropbox account here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/469ydfq1k046y ... s.zip?dl=0

Note that the Makergear knurl pattern appears to use something like a polar array of 26, 60 degree V 'threads,' both right and left hand, both as a Boolean difference from the base 50x30 mm cylinder. I did that for my initial version, then went with a slightly coarser pattern. I've added about 0.12 mm or so of total thread clearance, which in hindsight might be a tad skimpy. In any case, when printed in PLA (no supports needed) a small 3M rotary bristle brush in 80 grit cleans things up nicely/quickly for a smooth action.

Fun learning project, however imperfect. Next up, when I get a moment, is to add a second color embedded butterfly to the lid. Rhino model is done, just haven't had time to print.

duncan

rpollack

Re: Samll familair knurled box

Post by rpollack » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:29 pm

Hi Duncan - do you have a photo?

Rick

crawfdp1

Re: Small familiar knurled box

Post by crawfdp1 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:51 pm

Photos here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4gxu6cs69mxc1 ... s.zip?dl=0

Both boxes, open and lids in place. I was on the way out the door for a canoe trip when the Dropbox upload of the Rhino and stl files finally finished. Didn't even check my subject line spelling. Sigh.

I've three build plates for my M3-ID, two with Kapton and one with BuildTac; these were done on the latter, with a couple of coats of 20% clear Elmers. That's mostly because I had that surface with flexplate system on my last printer so it gives me a familiar place to start with this one. Looking at the photos I still need to tweak my filament temps a bit. I do like that polished/shinny print look on the Kapton, though, so as I learn....

duncan

Q*bert

Post by Q*bert » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:41 am

rpollack wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:29 pm
Hi Duncan - do you have a photo?

Rick
Hi Rick-

Any reason you guys refuse to share the model of the knurled box that ships with our M3-ID's? It seems like it would be good advertising and it doesn't reveal any of the construction details of the M3 parts. I'd love to pass some out to friends.

Craig

rpollack

Post by rpollack » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:26 pm

I didn't know it wasn't posted. It will be on Github soon...

Q*bert

Post by Q*bert » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:49 am

rpollack wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:26 pm
I didn't know it wasn't posted. It will be on Github soon...
Thanks Rick!! Asked on the forum a couple of times before but you came through in the end!