Replica Statue

Show off your prints!!!
brentlymills

Replica Statue

Post by brentlymills » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:51 pm

Using photogrammetry and 3D printing I was able to make a replica of a statue that my wife is find of. About 15 years ago the statue was damaged when it fell off a book shelf, she has been looking for one like it since then.

I used Meshroom to generate the 3D mesh, Blender for mesh clean up, and Simplify 3D for the slicing. I printed it on my good old M2 with an 0.25mm nozzle at 0.15 layer height.

The most difficult aspect was taking good enough photos and preparing the statues surface so Meshroom could work its magic. After 1157 photos and many failed meshes I finally got my camera settings and the surface preparation for the statue perfected -- the rest was simple.

The statue on the right is the original, the one on the left is printed. I am told the colors are different -- I am color blind so it is all green/gray to me.

let me know what you think.

Thank you,
Brent

brentlymills

Re: Replica Statue

Post by brentlymills » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:57 pm

I just realized the images did not work.
20191225_101856_157836007137634.jpg

Phil

Post by Phil » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:53 pm

Wow! They look identical, (minus the repairs, of course).
I am curious, how does the one on the left look to you compared to the table top? The one on the right is of similar color to the table top.

willnewton

Post by willnewton » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:19 pm

Nice work!

I saw the pic before I finished reading the first post and I guessed the one on the left to be the original due to the retro pale jade green color.

Of course, I finished reading your post and zoomed in on the pic. Interesting to read about the colorblindness and see the result and realize I had it wrong about which was the original.

I think you may have outdone the original as far as nailing a period color style.

Surface quality is nice. Is that vapor smoothed ABS?
I'm finally back to where I started two days ago!

A thread with some stuff in it I update every once in a while. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9
See some of my stuff http://www.thingiverse.com/willnewton/favorites

brentlymills

Post by brentlymills » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:32 pm

Phil wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:53 pm
Wow! They look identical, (minus the repairs, of course).
I am curious, how does the one on the left look to you compared to the table top? The one on the right is of similar color to the table top.
Haha, yeah they all seem kind of the same to me, though the different patterns help.

brentlymills

Post by brentlymills » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:47 pm

willnewton wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:19 pm
Nice work!

I saw the pic before I finished reading the first post and I guessed the one on the left to be the original due to the retro pale jade green color.

Of course, I finished reading your post and zoomed in on the pic. Interesting to read about the colorblindness and see the result and realize I had it wrong about which was the original.

I think you may have outdone the original as far as nailing a period color style.

Surface quality is nice. Is that vapor smoothed ABS?
Thank you very much.
It is printed in PLA and smoothed out with 2 coats of automotive primer, then I do a quick sanding using wet 1000 grit, and finally paint with enamel spray paint. I have been able to get good results in all my prints that require a smooth surface finish with this method. It helps to print at 0.15mm layer height as the automotive primer fills that grain very well, where with 0.2mm layer height I need more then 2 coats and a bit more sanding.

Thank you,
Brent