M2 stops extruding after an hour or two

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
airscapes

Re: M2 stops extruding after an hour or two

Post by airscapes » Fri Oct 28, 2022 2:51 pm

Good luck and keep us posted!

Gwhite

Post by Gwhite » Fri Oct 28, 2022 5:04 pm

I got a cheap food dehydrator to dry my filament back before purpose built ones were available. You can get nice ones for ~ $40 to $45 now, with is less than the dehydrator cost me. I've never had moist filament cause jams, but I've got some pretty ratty looking prints from it. It only takes ~ 4 hours or so to dry a spool. I also store my partial rolls in an evacuated "space bag" with desiccant after drying them in the dehydrator.

Given that the problem is intermittent, it could be a loose connection to your hot end. A momentary drop out in heater power would cause the sort of problems you are seeing.

prosumer

Post by prosumer » Sat Oct 29, 2022 5:00 am

Fingers crossed that it is fixed. I switched filaments and did some cold pulls, which hadn't worked with the pla+ I had loaded. This time, it cleared it. I'm looking into a box as we speak. Definitely a good investment. Thanks for the support. This is a great printer.

Phil

Post by Phil » Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:06 pm

I have had crap in the filament twice that caused a jam. It seemed the crap was tiny shards of I-do-not-know-what that plugged the nozzle, but it either was in one place in the filament or it built up over time. Either way, it only happened on large prints after lots of plastic had already gone through the extruder. Once I got rid of those spools of filament, I was fine.
I have also had a wire come loose from the top of an extrusion motor. Damn thing was intermittent and left gaps between layers, but never quit entirely. A quick solder job fixed it.