new hotend not extruding

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
jccdesign

Re: new hotend not extruding

Post by jccdesign » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:42 pm

No , its not clicking or anything , there are no wierd sounds, i even restored simplify 3d just in case i changed anything, and still the same. When it stops extruding , even with the gear turning , i can push it down and it will extrude ,it just stops biting , thats what it seems like , but when i see the filament i can see the bite marks of the gear.

jccdesign

Post by jccdesign » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:43 pm

also i can move the filament easily through the guiding tube , so there is nothing jamming it . IVE given up , really don't know whats wrong with the machine. I have disarmed the filament drive and that area like 20 times and nothing seems to work. Changed settings in simplify and nothing ( extrusion). Now its just a 2000$ paperweight.

jsc

Post by jsc » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:03 pm

You should contact MG tech support and get in contact with Josh before you give up completely. He has a lot of experience and may be able to help you.

jccdesign

Post by jccdesign » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:19 pm

we have been in contact almost 2 weeks , i was waiting for the makergear filament and the hotend to rule out them as being the culprits , have to wait for his reply tomorrow .

Capt. John

Post by Capt. John » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:09 am

yeah i ordered some makergear pla, tried and nothing, then took the hotend out and did an extrusion without the hot end , just pass the filament through the guide and noticed that there were very pronounced tooth marks on the filament. So i lose some tension from the idler, and nothing, so i took the tension screw out and put some washers between the gap to relieve some tension and so far it extruded nicely. I still have to do a test print to be sure
Washers in the filament drive tensioning gap?
Capt. John
Manistee, Michigan
Reel Amateur at 3D printing
Fishing Tackle Manufacturer & Webmaster for:
http://www.michiganangler.com
http://www.michigansportsman.com

over-$-pent

Post by over-$-pent » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:41 am

Did you try slowing the extrusion speed down in jog mode? It looked really fast in the video. I've had that problem before if you are trying to push the filament throught the hot end too fast in jog mode. Worth a try?

jccdesign

Post by jccdesign » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:48 am

over-$-pent wrote:Did you try slowing the extrusion speed down in jog mode? It looked really fast in the video. I've had that problem before if you are trying to push the filament throught the hot end too fast in jog mode. Worth a try?

Yeah i tried it, i even restore simplify to its default settings , the jog speed of the extruder was at 225 . What speed would you recommend?

jccdesign

Post by jccdesign » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:49 am

Capt. John wrote:
yeah i ordered some makergear pla, tried and nothing, then took the hotend out and did an extrusion without the hot end , just pass the filament through the guide and noticed that there were very pronounced tooth marks on the filament. So i lose some tension from the idler, and nothing, so i took the tension screw out and put some washers between the gap to relieve some tension and so far it extruded nicely. I still have to do a test print to be sure
Washers in the filament drive tensioning gap?
yeah , just to tryi f the diference in the tension willgive me any result.

over-$-pent

Post by over-$-pent » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:15 pm

jccdesign wrote:
over-$-pent wrote:Did you try slowing the extrusion speed down in jog mode? It looked really fast in the video. I've had that problem before if you are trying to push the filament throught the hot end too fast in jog mode. Worth a try?

Yeah i tried it, i even restore simplify to its default settings , the jog speed of the extruder was at 225 . What speed would you recommend?

In jog mode, I use 150 mm/min for all materials except Ninja Flex which I run at 60 mm/min.

Capt. John

Post by Capt. John » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:34 pm

2k paper weight is only, because you're doing something way wrong.

PLA with stock settings using S3D is by far the easiest material to print.
Teeth marks from the drive gear should look similar to below photo:
Teeth_Marks.jpg
Teeth_Marks.jpg (110.8 KiB) Viewed 11701 times
Take liberties by adding stuff (washers) and messing with filament diameter that should read 1.75, not 1.73
and extrusion rates is where your whole deal went south.
That's for the experts here that have been 3D printing for a long time.

Head space between the tip and hot end works for me at .006.
Too close a head space and the hot end clogs itself.
Buy some feeler gauges at any auto parts store in case you do not have any.

Bed must be level, tighten it down to keep tension on the springs.

Use the stock settings, reset S3D to default M2 settings with the hot end your machine uses.
In my case with a April 2014 machine it's v3b. Then, in S3d chose PLA stock settings and you
should be good to go.

I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but if I can do it? ...anyone can!
Capt. John
Manistee, Michigan
Reel Amateur at 3D printing
Fishing Tackle Manufacturer & Webmaster for:
http://www.michiganangler.com
http://www.michigansportsman.com