Z motor or its driver damaged?

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
Farr0wn3d

Z motor or its driver damaged?

Post by Farr0wn3d » Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:48 pm

Hey everyone, I just started using Octoprint and had to kill a print before it was done, but I'm not familiar with the controls of octo yet, so I cancelled the print and wanted to move the nozzle away from the print while it was still hot so I just turned the knob on the top of the lead screw to lower the bed while the motors were still locked. When I came back to resume the print later on, the motor sounds terrible and doesnt work properly now. I believe that I have done thing before but for some reason this time seems to have damaged something. I have reset the computer, the printer, and everything else associated with the setup and nothing has improved. I tried doing the input from the printer itself, octoprint, and S3D, and it all does the same thing. I'm kind of panicking because I am doing production with this printer.

Can anyone offer what I should be doing or replacing to get this back up and running asap?

Jeremy

Farr0wn3d

Re: Z motor or its driver damaged?

Post by Farr0wn3d » Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:45 pm

Update: The X and Y axes both behave normally, so I swapped the Z for the Y and now Z moves as it should when I use the Y controls, and Y just shakes and sounds like crap. It appears that I have damaged the board. Definitely not thrilled about having to replace the whole board because 1 stepper driver is toast. Does anyone have any recommendations for an upgrade if I have to replace the board anyway?

Jeremy