Filament stuck in the printed extruder motor cover

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
Addiction

Filament stuck in the printed extruder motor cover

Post by Addiction » Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:27 am

Hi all,

For background I was printing all PLA. I switched nozzles and started printing PETG. Most of those prints were a little stringy with occasional blobbing but otherwise solid prints. I was printing Amazon Basic Orange PETG.

When the roll finished in the middle of a print I tried to splice in a new one, that failed and jammed the extruder. I removed the fans, pulled off the printed extruder piece, cleaned it out and cleaned out the motor wheel. Replaced everything, did a test extrusion and that worked, so now on my second roll of Amazon Basic Orange PETG. I printed a part and it printed fine. Well still with some stringing and some blobs but otherwise fine part once its cleaned up.

Tried to print a second part and it jammed again. Cleared the jam, cleaned everything up and tried and it jammed again, for four consecutive prints. SO I get some cleaning filament and push it through, do a cold pull to boot. Pushing the cleaning filament did produce some black stuff on the extrusion, but I didn't get anything out on the cold pulls. SO now I'm ready to put it together and try again.

Except that printed piece that goes on the extrusion motor has a piece of Amazon Basic Orange PETG stuck in it. And it's not long enough that it comes out of the center side for me to pull it out that way. And its really jammed in there, there isn't anything I can pull out of the bottom of it. Its jammed in there because I tried to push it through from the bottom because I figured it would be easier to pull out through that side.

How do I clear this? Is it as simple as get a small pin vise (little hand drill for modeling and drill it out? If I end up making this hole bigger does it hurt anything?

Addiction

Re: Filament stuck in the printed extruder motor cover

Post by Addiction » Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:22 am

As an update I got part of the PETG out of this piece but its currently blocked in the middle of that bottom tube. I can not see the blockage but I also can't feed filament through that piece when its off the machine.

I used a modeling pin to push part of it out, I'm goign to assume if I have a longer pin I can keep pushing it out. I'll check back if that turns out to not be the case.

Addiction

Re: Filament stuck in the printed extruder motor cover

Post by Addiction » Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:12 am

Got the part completely clear. I suspect there was a piece of plastic stuck in there from the first jam and that is what was causing the problem. Just in case I pushed a bit more cleaning filament, did another cold pull and only got a spec of back. So far the next print seems to be going much better. Sorry I stuck my head in here all panicked folks.