M2 Z-limit switch bracket broke

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
Kirk.AIA

M2 Z-limit switch bracket broke

Post by Kirk.AIA » Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:25 pm

After noticing that my bed height was significantly lower a day after I leveled the bed, I saw that when the bed’s Z axis was homed a plastic spacer below the bed started hitting the top of the controller housing.
I then noticed that the plastic mounting bracket that the Z-limit switch is supported by is broken and the switch is now not securely attached any longer.
How do I fix this?
Attachments
8F72D22F-8FB2-41E8-8934-E3AD45D09FEB.jpeg

Mach

Re: M2 Z-limit switch bracket broke

Post by Mach » Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:03 pm

Glue it and print a replacement. Check here: https://github.com/MakerGear/M2/blob/ma ... racket.STL Not sure which version you have but this looks similar.

Kirk.AIA

Post by Kirk.AIA » Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:09 pm

I’ll give that a try if I can’t get a replacement from Makergear.

Thanks

Gwhite

Post by Gwhite » Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:47 pm

I'd be curious to know which version of M2 you have. This is the first I've head of this failure mode, but if your printer uses the same Z-stop mount as my M2E, I think I will print a spare.

Thanks!

Kirk.AIA

Post by Kirk.AIA » Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:52 pm

Gwhite wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:47 pm
I'd be curious to know which version of M2 you have. This is the first I've head of this failure mode, but if your printer uses the same Z-stop mount as my M2E, I think I will print a spare.

Thanks!
Rev E with the 4v nozzle.

Do you know how to raise the bed manually to get to the mounting bracket and switch?

Gwhite

Post by Gwhite » Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:06 am

Thanks for the info on the model you have. I''ll have to print a spare.

You can use the top octagonal knob to raise the bed, but it's pretty tedious. There are crank handles that slip over the knob on Thingiverse, but it would require having a working printer... Maybe you can find someone who can make one for you. They are pretty simple.

Here's one I use: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1027536

It's actually dual function; it works as a crank to move the bed up or down, and when you flip it over, it serves as a stop to hold the bed in place.

Kirk.AIA

Post by Kirk.AIA » Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:05 am

Even though it’s tedious I will just have to turn the knob by hand.
I wanted to be sure that’s the way to raise the bed. It looks like I need to raise it up about half the distance of the Z axis to get decent access to the switch. Something long enough will need to be placed under the bed to keep it from falling down.
Thanks for the advice.

Gwhite

Post by Gwhite » Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:44 pm

Once you get up & running again, I'd definitely print up one of the Z-axis crank/stop gadgets for similar occasions in the future. I use mine periodically to help clean the Z-axis lead screw.

Kirk.AIA

Post by Kirk.AIA » Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:34 pm

Gwhite wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:44 pm
Once you get up & running again, I'd definitely print up one of the Z-axis crank/stop gadgets for similar occasions in the future. I use mine periodically to help clean the Z-axis lead screw.
The bracket has been glued back together and switch is reinstalled.
However, since I use Octoprint across my network I have another dedicated computer that I connect to the printer for bed leveling. Unfortunately the last windows update I think corrupted that computer and now I get a “page fault in non-paged area” which causes the dreaded blue screen.
Once I move the printer over to my Octoprint computer I can then use the QuickStart app to get the bed set up again.
Then I can print a replacement bracket.

Gwhite

Post by Gwhite » Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:52 pm

Hope that all works well for you.

There's something odd going on. I bought my M2E is July of 2017. The 3D file for the printed bracket on GitHub is from a little over a year earlier. I finally got around to taking a look at my printer. It has a simple machined metal bracket holding the Z-axis limit switch, bolted to the top of the motor. I suspect they had problems with the 3D printed bracket breaking, and decided to go with something sturdier at some point before mine shipped.

I'll try to get a clear picture at some point.