Linear motion components overhaul

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
Farr0wn3d

Linear motion components overhaul

Post by Farr0wn3d » Fri Oct 21, 2022 4:17 am

Hey everyone, I bought my M2 back in 2016 and its seen a ton of use since then. I think its time to do an overhaul of the linear motion components like the smooth rods and bearings, Z axis lead screw and nut, x and y axis rails and carriages. I would like to use quality parts like misumi or hiwin. Just want to see if anyone has done anything like this and could point me in the right direction or perhaps even provide part numbers? Also, if you’ve done this, was it worth it??

Thanks in advance for your help!
Jeremy

airscapes

Re: Linear motion components overhaul

Post by airscapes » Sat Oct 22, 2022 2:35 pm

Just checked the website and the bearings are still available as well as the X rail Unless you really let the maintenance go, I would think the rails should be fine.. Not sure about Z but would hop the bearing would wear before the rod..
If you don't get a response, and do figure it out, post your part numbers.
I have a new bearing for X and an extra slightly used bearing that MG sent me to try and fix a noise.. may order one more so I can just replace them and take the time to disassemble, clean, inspect and reassemble for the following year.
My normal routine is to inject some 3 in 1 oil into the bearing case, sliding the hydremic needle between the rail and the dust seal of the bearing.. Seem to keep thing happy done ever so often though out the year. Granted I do not use mine non stop..
Good luck!

airscapes

Re: Linear motion components overhaul

Post by airscapes » Sat Oct 22, 2022 2:53 pm

This site has more M2 parts than Makergear had.. No rails but bearings and other parts.
https://www.partsbuilt.com/parts-makergear/