"Print from SD card" no longer working on 2 machines

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
Brit

"Print from SD card" no longer working on 2 machines

Post by Brit » Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:57 am

My "Print from SD card" no longer works in Simplify 3D on the machine control panel. I have tried to print with the SD card on both of my M2 machines. I have tried several SD cards that all worked until the last week (I think it was possible before my latest update to Simplify 3D). All SD cards work fine on my laptop. Any ideas?

Gwhite

Re: "Print from SD card" no longer working on 2 machines

Post by Gwhite » Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:55 pm

What version of S3D? They FINALLY came out with Version 5.0, and it's VERY buggy. They just released 5.01, with a bunch of bug fixes, but I'm not going near it for a while longer.

Brit

Post by Brit » Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:03 am

It is version 4.1.2. It can't be my printer. Both worked fine connecting to the sd cards when I last used them 1 week ago. Having both SD connections in the printer board in 2 separate printers break at the same time is highly unlikely.

Gwhite

Post by Gwhite » Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:29 pm

Check your SD cards for physical damage. A busted one could trash the contacts in the readers.

Brit

Post by Brit » Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:25 pm

Thanks... I did try 4 different cards. All worked previously.

Brit

Post by Brit » Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:12 am

I bought a new SD card, and it worked.

Gwhite

Post by Gwhite » Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:22 pm

I have an SD card that I used heavily to schlep files back & forth to my M2E for the last 5 & a half years. It has started not being recognized occasionally when I plug it into my computer and my printer. I now have about a half dozen SD cards I use in rotation, and the next time that one acts up, I think I will just pitch it. When I first got my printer, they were not nearly as cheap as they are now. I paid over $20 for a 32 Gbyte card back in 2013. Given the average size of my print jobs, I could use ones that are practically being given away these days. eBay has all sorts of new ones for $1, most of them at least 16GB.

That said, I have to wonder if something in your setup killed them. Having multiple cards go bad all at once it pretty fishy. Could be hardware, or it could be software. I had a problem once where a tiny piece of plastic that separates the contacts on a card broke off, and ended up in my reader. Eventually it fell out, but not before it caused some weird behavior.