printing the y-axis too short

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
Brit

Re: printing the y-axis too short

Post by Brit » Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:16 am

And Makergear support wrote: "There shouldn't be any reason why swapping the Y-axis motors on both machines should have resolved the dimensional issue, unless the belt tension was really loose on one of your machines. The step count is controlled by the RAMBo board and the firmware and both motors should be nearly identical (internally they are identical)." Neither belt was too loose. So it remains a mystery.

Gwhite

Post by Gwhite » Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:01 am

I wonder if they got a batch of different motors during their supply chain problems, and adjusted the steps per mm to compensate in the firmware. Ordinarily, it wouldn't hurt anything unless you change or swap the motors around....

Brit

Post by Brit » Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:17 pm

That makes sense....I think. It must be something in the firmware. The M2 with the new motor was printing +10% on the y-axis. The M3, using the old M2 motor, was -10% on the y-axis. But now the M2 and M3, with the motors swapped, print fine now with the belt tension the same or very close to what it was before.

Gwhite

Post by Gwhite » Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:40 am

If I remember correctly, the steps per mm settings (gcode M92) in the two machines were different. I think one was set to 80, and one was set to 88 (10% difference). That says when the printers were built, they adjusted that firmware parameter to match the motors they were using.