get RAMBo boardc repaired

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
jferguson

get RAMBo boardc repaired

Post by jferguson » Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:19 pm

My guess is no-one repairs boards, but just in case.

I have one on which the USB connector has deconstructed. Since I have a couple of other boards which I tbhought might be harvested of their USB Jacks, I fired up the Weller WTCP with an 800F tip, got out the braid and went to work. My guess is solder melting point might be higher, but my solution was to add solder to each connection and then use the braid and did my best to sop up the solder, but I was unable to clean out all of the holes and one of the large grounds came apart. I concluded that I would be unable to remove the jack without destroying a couple of the connections and possibly ruin the board. I also realized that i would have to remove the jack from the otherwise good board and might ruin that board too.

I bought a new board. I'm guessing that no one fixes boards as a business because the cost of the repair might be not much less than the cost of a new board. Any ideas?

airscapes

Re: get RAMBo boardc repaired

Post by airscapes » Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:37 pm

What is your goal? The 8 bit board can be replaced with a new 32bit board that runs current firmware and makes your machine nice and quiet. If you can't fix it yourself, I would expect that paying someone, if you can even find anyone that fixes electronics anymore, would not be cost effective for what that board is worth. I replaced mine just to make my M2 quiet, have the perfectly good rambo board with the original firmware on it sitting in a box, been almost 2 years now. Since replacing it, added BLTouch, magnetic plate with PEI and use the Duet board web interface exclusively for all printer access and functions. No longer use USB even though the board has USB. Not going to sugar coat it, replacing the board no matter what brand or firmware it uses is an major project. Not suggesting anyone replace the rambo unless the are interested in updating to new added devices, new firmware capabilities or just to quiet those dam steppers.

jferguson

Re: get RAMBo boardc repaired

Post by jferguson » Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:50 pm

Noise is not a problem for me. i've got other projects in the queue and unfortunately the printer is on the critical path. Mosrt of the trouble I had with it in the years I've been using it was with the taped beds. I bought a WhamBam magnetic print surface and it has been the end of my problems. I print only PETG and have been well satisfied with my prints.

john