Echo:sd init failed

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
Monroecountyboy

Echo:sd init failed

Post by Monroecountyboy » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:35 am

Ladies/gents,

I've acquired a head scratcher today. My M2 that I received new this past November is now not recognizing the SD card reader. I was running my M2 on my laptop that I recently retired and moved my software to my Surface Pro 3. Having not moved or handled any of the harnesses and just basically switched my control device I'm having a hard time believing that it's hardware related on the M2 side. Now don't get me wrong, I do know that hardware malfunctions can happen without reason and sometimes un expectedly but in this circumstance I want to think it's somewhere in the software. Perhaps I missed a step when reinstalling all the drivers and software. However, I can connect to the machine and I can jog the controls and I can print by usb but when I load a file on my tablet and place it in the card reader and try to print via the card it says it fails under the communications window as if there is no reader there. Reading these forums I have noticed that I might need to check for a lit LED on the reader board (which it does not light up regardless if a card is installed or not) and have uninstalled the drivers and S3D multiple times to reach no positive outcome. Here is a list of my equipment and firmware in case it helps. SP3 windows 8.1, MG2 v3b 24v hot end, S3D firmware 2.2.2 . Any help you all can provide will be greatly appreciated, it's nice to load a file to the reader and let it do its thing while I take my tablet away and design on the side. Thank you all! MCB :)

jdacal

Re: Echo:sd init failed

Post by jdacal » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:51 am

Does the card reader show up under the drives in Windows Explorer?

Edit: Have you tried a different SD card?

Edit: How do you like the Surface Pro 3? I've been thinking of switching over to that from my iPad.
jdacal

live print feed: http://enctrading.com/printcam/
See me Crash and Burn in Real time!

Monroecountyboy

Post by Monroecountyboy » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:56 am

No it does not show up under the drives, yes I have tried other cards. The SP3 is awesome in design and functionality but I have had to replace it once in the first 2 weeks I've owned it. Something to have to do with the battery...

jsc

Post by jsc » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:30 am

There is an LED hidden under the housing (see http://www.thingiverse.com/make:72940) that turns on when the M2 is powered on. If that is not lighting up, then double check your connections, both to the reader and at the other end to the board.

Monroecountyboy

Post by Monroecountyboy » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:41 am

As indicated in my original query- the LED has been checked and no light illuminates either with a card inserted or not. The connectors have been checked and are secure. These procedures were some of the first I accomplished even though it operated fine just prior to my computer swap out. Thanks for the responses!

jdacal

Post by jdacal » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:48 am

I'm not sure which version of the USB driver you have, but might want to get the one from the link on this page if you haven't already.

http://makergear.wikidot.com/m2-electronics

The notes for the latest one for the newer Marlin board says " now compatible with Windows 8". Not sure if that's the board you have.
jdacal

live print feed: http://enctrading.com/printcam/
See me Crash and Burn in Real time!

jsc

Post by jsc » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:28 am

Is it possible to unretire your laptop briefly to see if it still works or not?

Monroecountyboy

Post by Monroecountyboy » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:16 pm

@ jdacal- that is the version I grabbed when I placed everything on the tablet, it was the same one I used on my laptop as they both run windows 8. @ jsc- unfortunately not.... I wiped it clean and now it's my wife's property lol. I also don't feel like creating my account on it again and reinstalling everything etc etc.. Thanks!

Monroecountyboy

Post by Monroecountyboy » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:12 am

Never mind, Josh in tech support is sending me a new reader. Thanks everyone!

TSC

Post by TSC » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:10 am

I have the same issue and am also using a Surface Pro 3. Did the new card reader solve your issue? My printer is brand new too. I have only made a couple prints with the USB cable so far. Any feedback would be appreciated.