Methods for extra bed cooling?

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
Farr0wn3d

Re: Methods for extra bed cooling?

Post by Farr0wn3d » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:12 am

CCVirginia, I've considered using a larger blower motor mounted on the frame with a hose that goes to the head. you could produce much more flow and pressure if there wasnt size and weight constraints. the only thing you would have to be concerned with is the current draw on the circuit

insta

Post by insta » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:35 am

... fan0 (the bed cooling fan) has the same current capacity as the hotend and bed heater. How big of a blower motor are you using?
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

Matt_Sharkey

Post by Matt_Sharkey » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:03 pm

there's not enough flammable things going on here guys, Ill go get my STIHL leafblower, and Ill duct it to the hotend.

I'll also have to unplug my CO monitor, I can't sleep with all of this beeping!

Farr0wn3d

Post by Farr0wn3d » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:16 pm

Insta, its just a thought at this point, wasnt sure it was worth all the work when guys are getting good results just tweaking the current fan setup. what are you using for bed cooling?

jsc

Post by jsc » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:25 pm

I tried an 80mm side mounted fan at one point, but with no ducting. It didn't work as well, you really want to target the extrusion point. I suppose with a hose, you could do a better job, but the bigger fans mostly go for CFM rather than static pressure and wouldn't work all that well trying to pressurize a small diameter hose.

CCVirginia

Post by CCVirginia » Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:49 pm

I removed the bed fan guard and, as reported, lots more flow. WIll have to do a Microcenter trip for a metal guard - but those MC trips always cost more when I walk out with something I was not going in for ;)

As for the ducked fans - I was thinking of a fixed structure, not a hose and just pushing lots of air. That would also serve to cool the print for longer as the head moves (not sure how long you want it cooled, but sometimes the head moves fast and may move the fan out of range). If the "naked" fan works I may not bother trying it.

insta

Post by insta » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:53 pm

CCVirginia wrote:I removed the bed fan guard and, as reported, lots more flow. WIll have to do a Microcenter trip for a metal guard - but those MC trips always cost more when I walk out with something I was not going in for ;)

As for the ducked fans - I was thinking of a fixed structure, not a hose and just pushing lots of air. That would also serve to cool the print for longer as the head moves (not sure how long you want it cooled, but sometimes the head moves fast and may move the fan out of range). If the "naked" fan works I may not bother trying it.
I've got lots of extra 40mm wire fan guards ... PM me your address. I'll sell a pair for like $3 shipped.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org