After Clearing Extruder Jam, Motors Not Responding

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
ajmadison

After Clearing Extruder Jam, Motors Not Responding

Post by ajmadison » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:23 am

I had an extruder jam, and I followed the instructions on clearing the extruder. Re-attached the extruder, and none of the motorized jog control sub-systems are working. Jog X home doesn't work. Same for Y, & Z. And the extruder motor itself is not responding to controls, so I can't reload filament. Oh, I saw a posting that described the behavior I just described, which the solution was a new V4 Extruder. So I ordered one, and connected it in place of the suspected bad extruder. Same problem, no motorized jog controls work.

Almost forgot, everything else works. HBP comes up to temp, same as the Extruder heater, and the extruder fan responds to jog controls.

I see the G code for the jog control go out in the Communications panel of S3D, but the printer doesn't respond. I've tried M999, but no luck.

So... what do I do? Is it a fuse blown? I'm reticent about removing the cover and poking about without knowing what I'm looking for. If I have to reinstall the controller's firmware, where are the instructions for that?

Thanks in advance...

Slipshine

Re: After Clearing Extruder Jam, Motors Not Responding

Post by Slipshine » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:55 pm

How old is the machine you are working on?.

Plug and unplug where the power supply goes into the machine. While unplugged look at the plugs for damage.

ajmadison

Post by ajmadison » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:19 pm

I have a rev D machine. I will unplug & replug the power supply. Thanks.

Jules

Post by Jules » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:25 pm

Guess some of the guys are out on the beach soaking up some rays. 8-)

If checking the connections doesn't do it, you might want to open a support ticket with MakerGear. Thinking back, I don't recall having to change the firmware for the V4 hot end installation, so re-flashing the firmware probably won't get you anything. That shouldn't have changed.

Maybe it's a fuse, or a loose connection somewhere, (or the RAMbo flaking out), but I'm not the correct person to diagnose the issue. The MG support group will know though, and they sell all of the parts you might need.

http://www.makergear.com/pages/support

ajmadison

Post by ajmadison » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:02 am

Thanks folks.

The power supply cord was the clue. I had moved the M2 slightly, and this pulled the cord from the power supply tight around the base of the printer. Don't know if tension on the connector dropped the voltage on one of the lines, or the contact of the cord with the printer caused some current to go where it shouldn't (doubtful on this, considering the insulation on the individual wires and around the bundle) but I've seen weirder. Returning the slack in the power cord, and the X, Y, and Z motors responded to the jog controls.

Figures, my day job involves working with embedded processors, and one board acted "non-linearly" when I had turned on wireless coomunications for the first time and didn't have the voltage turned "all the way up." The radio caused a brown out and all kinds of non-graceful degradation in performance started. Should have realized the power was the issue with only partial functionality on the M2. Yay, back in business.

Slipshine

Post by Slipshine » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:03 pm

Glad your running again.