MakerGear is throwing sparks!

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
Technosteve

MakerGear is throwing sparks!

Post by Technosteve » Tue May 09, 2017 3:07 pm

Today, during a print, the connector of the extruder motor was throwing sparks. After looking closely, the wires that connect to the connector and the relief point have been slowly breaking (likely from bending slightly a few thousand times over the past couple years). I'm a little surprised they didn't use a higher strand wire that can take more bends.

Does anybody know the name of this connector so I can replace the connector, get new pins and redo the wiring?

Thanks!
Steve

Bratag

Re: MakerGear is throwing sparks!

Post by Bratag » Wed May 10, 2017 8:06 pm

Technosteve wrote:Today, during a print, the connector of the extruder motor was throwing sparks. After looking closely, the wires that connect to the connector and the relief point have been slowly breaking (likely from bending slightly a few thousand times over the past couple years). I'm a little surprised they didn't use a higher strand wire that can take more bends.

Does anybody know the name of this connector so I can replace the connector, get new pins and redo the wiring?

Thanks!
Steve
Your best bet would be to grab one from Makergear - or send them an email. I am sure they can fire off the plug type off the top of their head.

As far as using stronger wire, I have seen 5mm fencing wire break after only a couple of dozen fast bends. That kind of stress is murder on wires. That being said I dont notice my wires flexing much with the new motor mount and cable box that goes along with it.