Petg extruding problems

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
ringrosa

Petg extruding problems

Post by ringrosa » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:24 am

Ok I have been using the same petg filament for it seems like forever. So here goes. It will start a print, the first layer looks good then it will make it through the 2nd layer almost all the way then stop extruding. I was thinking the nozzle was clogged great, but not the case retract and the filament comes out. Cut it then put it back in and name extruding again fine. This is how it started and now the petg will get stuck around the extruder gear so bad that I have to remove the black filament guide or whatever you call it. I will upload a pic tomorrow it’s late. It seemed kinda hard to manually push filament through. So I removed the nozzle. Pushed all the old filament out put a new nozzle on .50 this time. It worked great for 2 prints then started to do the same thing. Not sure what is going on have tried higher terms ends in the same problem. Need some advice please.

sthone

Re: Petg extruding problems

Post by sthone » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:41 pm

Could be the filament.... try a different roll and see if that fixes the problem.

Or if that's the only roll of PETG you have if it stops extruding a again measure the filament where it stop extruding and see if it's in spec.

I've had a similar experience with ABS once and couldn't figure it out.... After measuring the filament going into the extruder it was at something like 1.85 (or bigger) and wouldn't even fit in the extruder hole. Turns on it was just a bad roll in spots.

gbroters

Post by gbroters » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:10 pm

Hi Ringrosa,

How long has this spool of filament been open?
What temperatures are you printing at?

It sounds like you have a clog in your hotend that is causing the extruder motor to grind at the filament.
I'd recommend trying a cold pull to see if that resolves the issue.https://makergear.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/ ... ing-Method

ringrosa

Post by ringrosa » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:54 pm

Measured it was 1.76 going in I attached a pic of what it does. Have it all cleared out going to try it again. Measured the filament down the spool a ways it was all 1.75 or 1.76 but will give it a try again.
Attachments
A3F985CF-7396-4D73-AECC-9E05EBC7E218.jpeg

ringrosa

Post by ringrosa » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:06 pm

gbroters wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:10 pm
Hi Ringrosa,

How long has this spool of filament been open?
What temperatures are you printing at?

It sounds like you have a clog in your hotend that is causing the extruder motor to grind at the filament.
I'd recommend trying a cold pull to see if that resolves the issue.https://makergear.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/ ... ing-Method
I thought it was I replaced the nozzle with same size fist still did the same thing so I changed it to a .50 nozzle. Printing at 245 when it acted like a clogged nozzle raised it up to 250 and I thought I had it fixed printed four more parts for my hypercube but then I went to print my final print and it died. I just opened the petg up it’s only been out for 3 days. Live in AZ it dry as shit here.

gbroters

Post by gbroters » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:25 pm

In that case, I can't imagine the filament or temperatures would be the cause of the issue.
I would try performing a cold pull after cleaning out the filament drive.

Phil

Post by Phil » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:29 pm

Every so often, I find that crap gets in the nozzle. I do not know if it comes from the filament or from dust in the air, but it seems to stay in the nozzle until I take a torch to it. If you have never done that, it is easy and painless, so I recommend you try.

Phil

Post by Phil » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:29 pm

Every so often, I find that crap gets in the nozzle. I do not know if it comes from the filament or from dust in the air, but it seems to stay in the nozzle until I take a torch to it. If you have never done that, it is easy and painless, so I recommend you try.

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:00 pm

I would take a close look at the heater and thermistor wires on your hot end and the harness. Maybe remove the filament, and run a couple of test prints that have failed with no filament and watch the heat on whatever interface you are using. Could be an intermittent wire break that causes the hot end to cool and this is the end result. Print fails before you know the temp dropped.. I would tend to investigate this route closely as you have intermittent good prints. Once up to temp the hot end should not vary more than a few degrees. Wide swings may indicate a PID calibration is required if there are no broken or loose connections.
Good luck!!

PS: The use of eSun cleaning filament between filament types and every so often with the same filament eliminates the need to torch or cold pull a nozzle. I have never needed to do any of that since I started using the cleaner, shortly after I got my M2. I also swap hot end rather than nozzles.. keeping a PID setting string for each hot end/nozzle size combo to be loaded when I change nozzle sizes.

More details on how to use the cleaner here viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7704

ringrosa

Post by ringrosa » Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:57 pm

Phil wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:29 pm
So the whole blow torch method I’ve never tried kinda confused about. Do I just heat the shit out of it and call it good with the blow torch? Was going to go back to play and see if I have the same problem