connect leftover filaments

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
sonra

connect leftover filaments

Post by sonra » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:41 pm

Hi Guys
I am sure that most of us has the some problem How to use leftover filaments . I try to google the subject and did not find an answer that seem to solve the problem there are some welding tools that do the work , Does you have idea or tool that you use ? I print for now only PLA
regards Doron

Hugs

Re: connect leftover filaments

Post by Hugs » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:40 pm

Hi Doron.

It sounds like you have already searched for a solution but have you seen this article?

I don't use enough filament per year to worry about saving the leftovers. Especially with PLA and the moisture it could absorb. I would pay the additional money to get a fresh spool. But I don't know how expensive it is for you.

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:06 am

If you are standing there when a roll runs out and your prepare, you can follow it with a new roll and not miss a beat. Well there may be a couple mm of under extrusion if you don't get the new filament into the drive right as pervious piece goes from the drive gear and stop. I cut the end of the running out piece flat so the new filament will push it on through. Tonight I forgot and my part was only half done when the spool ran dry.

sonra

Post by sonra » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:47 am

the problem is you want to print a item that takes hours and you can not check from time to time

insta

Post by insta » Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:41 pm

You can use a filament runout sensor. These use a leaf switch held closed by the presence of filament. When the filament runs out, the switch opens up and the printer firmware will enter a special mode to allow you to replace it. You usually end up with about 30cm of wasted filament, which is a far better outcome than waiting for hours for a spool to run out, or losing a print.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

sonra

Post by sonra » Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:40 pm

Hi Insta
I got a runout senson that use the switch the problem is r that the sensor "use" the M600 Gcode command to pause the printer ( as a read about to use it )
I have an M2 V4 printer that use Rambo framework that does not support this command
I have any idea what to do about except modify the current framework ?
Regards Doron

insta

Post by insta » Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:20 pm

If your current firmware does not understand or support M600, then you will have to flash updated firmware. There isn't a workaround for that (unless you want to do something silly like connect a loud buzzer to the runout sensor as an alarm)
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

sonra

Post by sonra » Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:21 pm

The problem is there is only one +framework that is working with this M2 printer so there is need to modify it to include the support of M600 command ( please let me know if I miss some thing and there is other newer framework )